Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

MKII 1939 marked WC

Article about: Not sure who this was for, its marked W C as an overpaint over an A for ambulance. I can only guess at WC, Water Company or Warden Command/control or what??? If anyone knows I'd be happy to

Default MKII 1939 marked WC

Not sure who this was for, its marked W C as an overpaint over an A for ambulance. I can only guess at WC, Water Company or Warden Command/control or what??? If anyone knows I'd be happy to be told.

Condition is not great but the shell is dated 1939 next to one of the lugs, the MKI liner is marked size 7 I VERO 1939.

It has a rusty crappy black paint and has a hole in the front, perhaps to attach a head torch or a badge.

It was local to me and was very cheap.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture MKII 1939 marked WC   MKII 1939 marked WC  

MKII 1939 marked WC   MKII 1939 marked WC  

MKII 1939 marked WC  
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

You've no doubt done the same online searches as me and drew a blank. Could it be a factory workman's helmet or postwar used by the CD? The liner and chinstrap look really good compared to the shell.

Local and cheap is always good

Tony

Good evening Jerry, that is another configuration that I have not seen before. I have no other better idea's than you have already suggested, I would certainly be inclined to go for Water Company. I hope it's not Water Closet, could end up being a real stinker! Leon.

Quote by FALLSCHIRMJAGER View Post
    Good evening Jerry, that is another configuration that I have not seen before. I have no other better idea's than you have already suggested, I would certainly be inclined to go for Water Company. I hope it's not Water Closet, could end up being a real stinker! Leon.
    Leon,

I was waiting for the rather predictable comments about some obvious joke from the initials and I should have preempted it by making some joke but hopefully nobody else will feel the need to post some crappy or shitty jokes on it now. Though if funny enough post away, but please no graphic images.

At the moment only guesses as to what it means, Watch Commander perhaps, or from wikipedia a host of nothing useful;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WC

Perhaps it was used to nip out to the outside lavvy during airraids or heavy rain.

Wales Cymru is my latest guess, a bit like River Avon.
    Regards,

Jerry

mpw
    ?

Good luck with your search Jerry. Some years ago when I was a young apprentice we were clearing out an old primary electrical substation when we came across similar helmets with the letters W S painted on them. The substaions have a number prefix but also a name and this case it was 'Wrotham Stores'. Being a large rural building during the war it was used for storing vital equipment. Unfortunately this was way before I became interested in WW2 memorabilia.

Mark.

?

If the hole was to do with a badge of some type, the A underneath the paint, does not line up with it.
    So was probably to do with the WC,but what the badge was or the WC?
    Here's an WS marked helmet for Mark.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture MKII 1939 marked WC  

perhaps not an authoritative source, but dads army have a war correspondent with an armband WC in an episode shown tonight
    Regards,

Jerry

Last one I saw with WC on it was being worn by a guy being “Winston Churchill” at an event. I’ve not seen a “real” WC-marked one yet ....but as we all know there are loads of markings out there.

My gut feel is that IF it was “commander” the helmet base colour would’ve been white??

...but that was all a long time ago......good luck