Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

MKII British Casualty Services helmet

Article about: One more for the pile Early war MkII CS marked white helmet for Casualty Services Party Leader. Marked to the front only. It was painted white and then overpainted again, but I can't see any

?

Default MKII British Casualty Services helmet

One more for the pile

Early war MkII CS marked white helmet for Casualty Services Party Leader. Marked to the front only. It was painted white and then overpainted again, but I can't see any other markings underneath.

Paint is to thick to see the helmet stamp, liner is Vero dated 1938

Steve

?

I'm prety sure the CS is for Cosaint Shibhialta, roughly meaning civil defence, which was used by the Irish post war.
    Sometimes the CS was made out of paper stuck on to the helmet, or painted in the style like yours.

?

You learn something new everyday. It did cross my mind that stenciled letters were not the norm, hadn't considered Irish CD at all and had no knowledge of it beyond the wartime green and blue helmets.

Can't say I'm not a bit disappointed but its' still an unusual helmet.

If the mod could change the title to 'MkII Irish Civil Defence Helmet'.

Thanks
    Steve.

SMP
    ?

I know a lot of these white "CS" marked helmets came from Ireland recently, and in Ireland "CS" is the abbreviation for Cosaint Shibhialta, but Adrian also shows British Casualty Service helmets marked with "CS" in his book. How can you tell if you have an Irish or a British one?

?

Yes, there were British CS marked helmets, and then there were these Irish ones.
    The paper CS on Irish helmets are obviously easy to tell, the painted ones are for me, down to experience.
    Unfortunately I have lost all the pictures I had of these Irish ones, but the matt black CS dabbed on a stencil are the give away.
    No black bands or diamonds either, or though there was a just white CS British one too, though not ever seen one.

?

Yes, there were British CS marked helmets, and then there were these Irish ones.
    The paper CS on Irish helmets are obviously easy to tell, the painted ones are for me, down to experience.
    Unfortunately I have lost all the pictures I had of these Irish ones, but the matt black CS dabbed on a stencil are the give away.
    No black bands or diamonds either, or though there was a just white CS British one too, though not ever seen one.

?

I bought this one years ago, just for the pictures, and have just found them.
    Repainted in the same style as the one shown.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture MKII British Casualty Services helmet   MKII British Casualty Services helmet  

?

Looks like the similarities between the two are impossible to ignore. Thanks for taking the time to find the photos.

Steve.