Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Need help to identify helmet, probably derivative from British paratrooper helmet

Article about: I just got this helmet on a flea market today. I'm assuming this is a a clone (either European or Indonesian made), no marking or whatsoever, no liner. So could anybody help me identify this

Default Need help to identify helmet, probably derivative from British paratrooper helmet

I just got this helmet on a flea market today. I'm assuming this is a a clone (either European or Indonesian made), no marking or whatsoever, no liner. So could anybody help me identify this helmet?

Regards,
    Damar

Overall shapes (the color look a bit off here on the first and second picture, probably because of the lighting)
    Need help to identify helmet, probably derivative from British paratrooper helmetNeed help to identify helmet, probably derivative from British paratrooper helmetNeed help to identify helmet, probably derivative from British paratrooper helmet

The inner part
    Need help to identify helmet, probably derivative from British paratrooper helmetNeed help to identify helmet, probably derivative from British paratrooper helmetNeed help to identify helmet, probably derivative from British paratrooper helmetNeed help to identify helmet, probably derivative from British paratrooper helmet

?

It was once an HSDR (helmets, steel Despatch rider) but looks to have been converted to an HSRAC.
    Most likely done by the Danish post war.

How does one exactly differentiate the usage between the Dispatch Rider and Armored Corps?
    I think I need a crash course about these steel helmets haha

This is an unusual helmet, certainly, but it is NOT a Dispatch Rider helmet as it has the dimple at the top of the crown which always indicated a lift-the-dot fastener fitting for the liner, and which was not present on any DR helmet. Or paratroop helmet. That means it must have started off as a British Armoured troops (RAC Mk2) helmet. (You can see inside the crown where the l-t-d fastener spike as been removed.)

It's not impossible that it might be a Danish postwar conversion, but I have not yet seen one that used shells with the l-t-d fastener (removed or intact) and all had a hole in the top for a nut&bolt to hold the British Mk2 liner (as commonly seen in British WW2 helmets). What all that stuff around the inside is, I do not know. It looks like the fittings for a para helmet, certainly. Is it impossible that what we have here is a a shell made for an Armoured troops helmet that was converted for use as a parartroop helmet? It seems unlikely, but not impossible.

For the differences in all these helmets I recommend taking a look at these websites -

GRAN BRETAÑA2

.: World War Helmets - Angleterre :.

?

Hi Greg, the metal band on the inside if definitely from an despatch riders helmet. As the Danish punched an hole in the top of a helmet, even a wartime Mk2 HSAT, I pressume they have done the same to this HSDR. Making it look like an Mk2 HSRAC?

Quote by tinlid View Post
    Hi Greg, the metal band on the inside if definitely from an despatch riders helmet. As the Danish punched an hole in the top of a helmet, even a wartime Mk2 HSAT, I pressume they have done the same to this HSDR. Making it look like an Mk2 HSRAC?
    OK, fair enough, I've never even handled a DR helmet never mind looked at its inner workings - BUT - I am sure that the dimple in the top and the obvious sign of removal of the l-t-d spike on the inside of the crown makes this a Armour helmet! Unless there's a DR helmet with l-t-d that I've not seen. Mind you I still have no idea what this is, and how and why it showed up in Indonesia is a mystery in itself. Ex-Dutch would make sense, ex-Danish - fantastically unlikely.

?

Greg,
    As you can see on these not brilliant pictures, but you can get the idea, the metal band used on HSDR's.
    The only thing that does not quite ring true is the rivets, outside of shell they should be very small, inside to the rear, times two, small heads, to the front inside times two larger heads on the rivets.
    Even if it was an HSRAC the rivets on the outside are not standard WW2 British, so this is probably something that has had a lot of work done to it in it's service life.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Need help to identify helmet, probably derivative from British paratrooper helmet   Need help to identify helmet, probably derivative from British paratrooper helmet  

Need help to identify helmet, probably derivative from British paratrooper helmet  

OK, I accept without question that the interior ring is a DR fitting. However, is it really only me that is seeing the l-t-d dimple and remnants of a cut off or ground off l-t-d spike on the inside crown. Oh, probably. Let's just assume it is actually a blind rivet in a pre-drilled hole. That's entirely plausible.

Thanks for the response guys, It does looks like the MkII RAC helmet, but I still found the dimple on the helmet is kind of odd.
    This is the close up of the dimple on the top of the helmet

this is the looks of the dimple from the inside

Also, I did a bit searching about my country's military and found some picture of the usage in the military.

This is Indonesian paratrooper in the 60's or 70's, Pasukan Gerak Tjepat (PGT). If my eye isn't mistaken, I think he's wearing this steel helmet with customized liner....

First Indonesian female jumper

Police 's Mobile Brigade Corps (I don't know if this is the correct translation)

Hello Damar,

The KST (Korps Speciale Troepen) of the former KNIL, used HSAT (Helmet Steel Airborne Troops) and a lot of DR helmets (HSDR). I gather a lot of millitary material was handed over to the TNI in 1950. The PGT trooper is wearing a DR helmet. The female jumper is wearing a modified RAC helmet (Royal Armoured Corps = a tankers helmet, also used by the Navy). Quite a lot of variation on basicly the same helmet shell!

It seems unlikely that a Danish helmet wound up in Indonesia.

I think the TNI bought additoional helmets from Britain and adapted them to their own use. As did many nations, such as Canada.

Cheers,
    Emile

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast