Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 69 of 81 FirstFirst ... 19 59 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 79 ... LastLast

The new ebay money maker

Article about: One of these sold for over £880. The other two hope to !

Gary’s a good guy.

Default helmets of course

sorry wrong place feel free to move mods just want an opinion..
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture The new  ebay money maker  
    Last edited by 2005burty; 08-12-2020 at 05:42 PM. Reason: wrong place

At yesterdays event at Evesham (UK) I saw a sign next to a brand new WW1 Tankers chain-mail mask and leather helmet saying "Orders taken"......not an "original" in sight...'seemed strange to see brand new pieces being openly sold on a stall rather than grease, oil and rust-coated on Ebay...'quite refreshing actually..... Is there a growing WW1 Tank Crew re-enactor scene I wonder?

Think these are what pass for face PPE for goffs nowadays.

Default ???VINTAGE??? Do you think!

Not exactly a real money spinner but being sold as a "Vintage" piece showing genuine signs of wear/age!

Vintage? No, this regiment was only formed in 1992 during a number of amalgamations of existing regiments as a force reduction/cost cutting exercise so not particularly historical or long ago even.

Wear and signs of age? No, this is in fact, little more than half a badge because the Prince of Wales's feathers, dragon and rose are a seperate "applique" piece riveted to the main part of the badge. In this case they are not "worn" they are missing though were once present as can be seen by the remains of rivets. The third picture shows a correct badge offered by the same dealer for the same price!
    So, does that mean worn or just bloody well broken? I can state with absolute certainty that the wearing of a badge in this condition by a serving soldier would not be tolerated once noticed.

I would suggest that if this badge was not rejected at the manufacturing stage (looks to me as if the rivets failed at the point of being peined during assembly) and did actually make it as far as being issued it failed very quickly and was discarded as unserviceable. In short this badge is a total "Duck egg"

This to me is worrying for two reasons;

1. The dealer is ignorant and has no idea what they are trying to sell - So stay away!
    2. The dealer is purposefully trying to flog a broken (in this case worthless) badge by mis-representing it as a "salty" worn in service item - So stay away twice!!

Regards

Mark

PS The asking price is at least £5 more than trusted well established dealers list for a perfect example in mint condition!

The new  ebay money makerThe new  ebay money makerThe new  ebay money maker
    Last edited by Watchdog; 09-03-2020 at 11:17 PM. Reason: Typo
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

SMP
    ?

£720 ffs
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture The new  ebay money maker  

What did they THINK it was?

Composite, this flash is how the flash on your book at pages 36 and 37?

SMP
    ?

It is an upside down reconnaissance corps flash

I’ve seen Midlands Regional (home Front) flashes mistaken for military flashes....indeed two of mine were sold to me as RECCE lids. I was watching this one as a Home Fronter.....

Psycopis - I believe you’re right. :-)

Page 69 of 81 FirstFirst ... 19 59 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 79 ... LastLast