Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 73 of 81 FirstFirst ... 23 63 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 ... LastLast

The new ebay money maker

Article about: One of these sold for over £880. The other two hope to !

SMP
    ?

£600 ( including cobwebs)
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture The new  ebay money maker  

Quote by SMP View Post
    £600 ( including cobwebs)
    I saw this one, some very keen bidding on it.....does anyone have a british/commonwealth helmet with original net and field dressing insitu with solid provenance?
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

SMP
    ?

Quote by Jerry B View Post
    I saw this one, some very keen bidding on it.....does anyone have a british/commonwealth helmet with original net and field dressing insitu with solid provenance?
    Never seen one in this country (and I include the one above). I suspect a some European collectors may have one.

I quite fancied this one. I think it’s all original, just not sure how long it’s all been together!! I certainly wasn’t going to bid anywhere near £600 for it

SMP
    ?

Quote by Grimebox View Post
    I quite fancied this one. I think it’s all original, just not sure how long it’s all been together!! I certainly wasn’t going to bid anywhere near £600 for it
    I don't think it has been together for very long

Do you think it's on a swing bin liner or a rubble sack?

What makes you come to this conclusion? I quite liked the look of this one too but I agree it went for a lot of money (too much). I did contact the seller but received no response which was disappointing.

What is driving the huge interest (and 'value' increase) in BritishMk2 helmets? Has anyone got a theory? Is it the publication of guide books? Is it the massive increase in the prices of Third Reich stuff that turns collectors back to British items and has made them more popular?

If the net had been on since the war with the dressing underneath it there would be corresponding marks. The edge of the net on the rim would also be flatter and there would be ghosting of the net on the helmet. I’ve no doubt that the helmet, net and dressing are original, I just don’t think they’ve been together since the war. Given the condition it certainly hasn’t been in a shed all those years. As for the prices, who knows. All I do know is that people have more money than me and are willing to bid a lot more, unfortunately they’re never bidding when I sell things.

SMP
    ?

Agree entirely. Plus it is not a "Shell Dressing", but a Field Dressing - It also has extreme wear ( and rust !) that doesn't fit with the condition of rest of the helmet/net combo.

Field dressings are sometimes seen under nets in period photos. However, it is more common to see the shell dressing in photos, I agree. What is the view on this? Field dressing or shell dressing under net or both are ok and seen in period photo evidence?

Page 73 of 81 FirstFirst ... 23 63 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 ... LastLast