Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Not all Brit flashed helmets are military

Article about: Sorry for starting a new thread on this one...effectively it's just about markings on Brit MkII lids in WW2. There's a handful of excellent long-running Threads about the MkII, their makers

Default Not all Brit flashed helmets are military

Sorry for starting a new thread on this one...effectively it's just about markings on Brit MkII lids in WW2. There's a handful of excellent long-running Threads about the MkII, their makers and their liners but the readers of those probably already know this.

We need to sort this one out....too many folk think that if it's got a square 2-coloured flash on the side they run off to their list of military markings to work out what it is. Or, worse, they believe what uneducated Ebay sellers tell them and assume it's correct. ...and even worse, some people who've bought the book get it wrong too! (there ARE words in there as well you know
    :-) )

Seriously, please don't assume that if a Brit Mk2 has a flash on the side it must be military....it could be boring ol' Home Front...."eeeeeuuuuughhhh yuk, they're for girls" [or someone who identifies as female] I hear you scream.

At least one Region (buy the book) adopted military STYLE markings for their helmets and these markings were worn by worker bees (black lids) right through to guys who thought they were better than ol' worker bee (white lids). The flashes themselves consisted of 2 right-angled coloured triangles. The helmets themselves were not usually army green (or whatever we're calling it today)...they're black, white or even red. Secondly they might be sub-standard (holes in the brim....and no, not South African holes). Third, they may even have numbers in the corner of the flash. Here's a couple of pics...one of the pics is from the book....did I mention the book?

Not all Brit flashed helmets are militaryNot all Brit flashed helmets are military

Here's an example....... if the helmet was worn by someone under the control of the Stoke-on-Trent Headquarters (Stoke-on-Trent is a place in the UK) one triangle would be "Buff" (whatever colour that is!) and if he was actually part of the Newcastle-under-Lyme Scheme Making Authority (an area within SoT HQ) the other triangle would be "Mauve" (a colour previously pronounced "Mohve" but now pronounced "Mwarv" for some reason)...they may even have a small "6" on the flash as well. This may LOOK all nice and Military but it ain't.....but don't let that stop you getting into the exciting and endless world of Home Front Helmet collecting.....just don't assume Flash = Army......and, in todays market (Sept 2020) don't assume it's a valueless Home Fronter as it's probably rarer than a flashed military lid.

I'd prefer this Thread not to detract from the other more comprehensive ones on the Mk2...it's just quite topical as Flashed lids seem to have a bit of a profile at the mo.....and you never know, the "other lot" may actually be interested :-)

?

I can see where you are coming from with regards to flashed helmets.
    The ones you have shown, and the one I have, are very easy to tell are HF.
    But when the flash is on a textured helmet, then the most likely outcome is it's for the military.
    Or home guard.

'totally agree.

....but who buys Military helmets anyway?! :-)

?

It is a changing hobby, who'd thought there would be fake British helmets all those years ago.
    Until recently, who'd thought there would be fake HF helmets, laughable only a few years ago.

First example: this helmet image take in another forum

Second example: this from ebay (more and more euro)

How do you think?

My guess is that both could well be Home Fronters.....I could be wrong...

For me also.

SMP
    ?

I once owned 3 of those flashed HF helmets that you call "Midland Region 9" ( a long time ago - when my mind was unsound ) . The strange thing is I bought all 3 of them from small antique/junk shops in the Boscombe/Bournemouth area. I have no idea how so many ended up in Dorset . Anyway, from memory , the flashes were on both sides, whereas many ( most?) military flashes are single sided . Discuss .

I suspect they were shipped down that way as that's where the money is!

Just checked.....2 x both sides, 1 x single sided....so, no consistency there...but what should we expect from Home Fronters? ;-)

SMP
    ?

Forgot to say, 2 were black helmets, and 1 was white - so no chance of mistaking them as military. Like Aaron said, the rough military paint is the clue. Home Guard helmets often have strange flashes, but they are mostly on rough, non-reflective military paint.