Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Odd Mk.II helmet. Royal Navy?

Article about: I have an unusual Mk.II Brodie helmet that I’ve not been able to positively identify. It’s stamped S75 / BMB 1943 and appears to have been factory painted a slate gray colour (no other c

yes a torch or, if facing the rear with a red lens...for the lead man off of a landing craft...for advanced troops and scouts so that their buddies don't shoot them in the back...or as I noted and yet nobody here seems to take me seriously...for use in a train tunnel when things go bad. I have to ask this question; Why do you think that it was designed for the lamp to be facing down? What if the orientation of the light source was up...or better yet, imagine if the military had devised a flashlight/torch that had an angled head on it!

So to summarise the facts.....this helmet / bracket is still in the US having recently changed hands (I like to keep track). It’s a Dutch Post-War refurb’d WW2 Brit lid. The bracket remains “unknown” although most seem to agree it’s for holding a helmet-worn cylindrical torch (front or perhaps rear facing). But we don’t know if it’s a war time piece. You've advised returning US rail workers (post war) used similar fittings. No other examples have yet been “reported”. Possible further info may be forthcoming (from US). The are no photos of the underside/inside of the bracket. I remain hopeful that we can bring clarity to page 344!

**Posted as Post 31 was added...NOT afterwards**
    Last edited by Composite; 07-30-2020 at 08:36 AM. Reason: Timing

Quote by Composite View Post
    So to summarise the facts.....this helmet / bracket is still in the US having recently changed hands (I like to keep track). It’s a Dutch Post-War refurb’d WW2 Brit lid. The bracket remains “unknown” although most seem to agree it’s for holding a helmet-worn cylindrical torch (front or perhaps rear facing). But we don’t know if it’s a war time piece. Returning US rail workers (post war) used similar fittings. No other examples have yet been “reported”. Possible further info may be forthcoming (from US). The are no photos of the underside/inside of the bracket. I remain hopeful that we can bring clarity to page 344!

**Posted as Post 31 was added...NOT afterwards**
    CANADA ...Happy Now???? ...and the original design was from WW1, but not attached in the same way

That’s (Post 31) a consideration...as I suspect you well know angle-head torches were used by the US troops...these had clips to hang on clothing so they pointed horizontally. I dont collect US (or Canadian) combat kit tho there are plenty here who do...I hope they come forward with examples of possible torches (although the US M1 helmet doesnt have central crown screws to attach the bracket to. I’m pretty sure it’s not a formal British military Item. In Britain commercially made cylindrical torches were available during WW2 on the Home Front.....several models featured downward-pointing forward facing lights ....I’m still of the view that it’s more likely these things were forward facing, certainly surviving Patent info for mass-produced items support that....

I’m still worried about the tone of your replies. No one is picking on you...you’ve posted something of interest and made some assumptions about it. As “Watchdog” has said, everyone is likely to be challenged re supporting facts / back-up data...this isn’t Facebook where responses like “cool” give historical credit to a particular piece. I want to know more about this bracket......I’ve kissed too many frogs to accept speculation...but at the moment that’s all there is. I really hope you solve this mystery....and that you share the results. Thank you.

And thanks for “CANADA”.......and please be assured that hundreds of collectors are unlikely to be boarding planes to that beautiful country to seek your location to snatch the helmet....CANADA is too big...and, sadly, the interest in Home Front stuff isn’t that great......however if you find one with a Swastika and Eagle on......:-)

Until there’s more (?) facts perhaps this Thread is best left open.

Again, thank you.

as unscientific as this is, I took the helmet along with a known, Canadian CLC helmet down to a local paint store to have the paint colours checked with their scanning equipment. Although, under various lighting, the colour looked the same on each, the BMB does lean towards the grey side. So, I believe now that the helmet was stripped down and repainted and that the bracket was applied long enough ago to leave a ghost imprint. The bracket appears to be much older. I'm sorry, but I'm going to need assistance in order to post any pictures here, I'm not sure of the relevance of the 'Post 31 thing' and I'm guessing that you are referring to (your?) book when you are talking about page 344?

Quote by Composite View Post
    I’m still worried about the tone of your replies. No one is picking on you.
    Yep, spikey is OK for hedgehogs, porcupines and sea urchins but here on the best militaria forum on the planet it's really not a good look

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

I’ll PM re posting pics

Thank You, Composite

I sent you a private message RE: this helmet.

Sorry if I'm beating a dead horse, here, but I have a question directed to the Dutch helmet experts;

I recently purchased some helmet nut/bolt sets from the U.K. that the seller stated were British made.
    They are identical to what is on this BMB helmet.
    I understand that the British used various styles of retention nut/bolt fasteners throughout the War.
    My question is; what makes this style a 'Dutch nut/bolt set?

?

Screw head size is the best indicator, I assume the dutch is a metric thread but but that's a bit OCD.

Dutch

British

I'm sure we all have helmets that have non 'standard' so I wouldn't be concerned.

Steve.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4