Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Please does anyone have any info this cardboard helmet and a non magnet steel Brodie

Article about: Its the maker of the liner. Vero. Everett W. Vero & Co. (London)

Default Re: Please does anyone have any info this cardboard helmet and a non magnet steel Brodie

Its the maker of the liner. Vero. Everett W. Vero & Co. (London)

Default Re: Please does anyone have any info this cardboard helmet and a non magnet steel Brodie

These are often said to be Civil Defence/Rescue/non-conductive helmets, but as others have said, my opinion is that they were purely commercial items. That said, remember that Civil Defence kit was all purchased by the local authority, so to some extent they are one and the same.

The 'Plasfort' type are also found without maker marks so I assume that a company other than Plasfort also made them. They are a compressed fibre construction not unlike a crude grade of Bakelite, the wood pulp filling is usually showing through. I have one that had the remains of a faint "W" on the front, which I have now reinstated, so that one at least was used by a Warden, although probably very early war. I have also seen a Plasfort type painted green with the WVS logo on the front.
    I'd love to get a 'Cromwell' or leather type too.

?

I'm pretty sure these were helmets were sold on the high streets up & down the Country, & I think the ARP services frowned on the use of them. But in the early days there were shortages in uniforms & helmets for the ARP & home guard, so people made do with what they could get until they were issued the correct uniform/helmets. Over the years I have seen these plastfort/ compressed fibre helmets with fake W's or whatever on them, & I've also seen some that I just could'nt fault & are 100% real.

?

My high quality helmet with additional cap is below. The producer of this helmet is visible well.

I have also a popular version of this helmet, but this above is more nicer.
    Piotrek

?

That's a lovely clear lable

Great helmet, great pics. All the Plasforts I've seen have the liner riveted in place.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2