Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Private purchse brodie/tommy helmet

Article about: Any thoughts on this one, it appears to be a private purchase example with a liner made by Gieves LTD. It looks good and what I want to know is it an army officers private purchase or civili

Default Private purchse brodie/tommy helmet

Any thoughts on this one, it appears to be a private purchase example with a liner made by Gieves LTD. It looks good and what I want to know is it an army officers private purchase or civilian private purchase or could it be either? It looks pukka to me and Gieves were a well known maker of private purchase items usually for the armed forces, from early in the 20th century if not before and through to when they became Gieves and Hawkes in the 70's or 80's.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Private purchse brodie/tommy helmet   Private purchse brodie/tommy helmet  

Private purchse brodie/tommy helmet   Private purchse brodie/tommy helmet  

Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

As I know nothing about these Jerry,when you say private purchase does that include a privately made steel shell?or is it a standard Brodie shell with a privately made liner?...........

Quote by ruddersrangers44 View Post
    As I know nothing about these Jerry,when you say private purchase does that include a privately made steel shell?or is it a standard Brodie shell with a privately made liner?...........
    A very good question Jake and to be honest I can only assume an answer as I don't know for certain. Bearing in mind I am assuming, but I think they would buy in a blank shell direct from one of the manufacturers and fit their bespoke liner and strap to it.
    Regards,

Jerry

?

I would say it's private purchase for use on the home front, very similar to mine & lots of others I've seen. Although the liner is different,but knowing the seller who's to say if that crown pad is original to that liner.
    Plus also it's painted grey, I would have thought it might have been painted green or brown by the makers, or the so called officer who was going to wear it in combat.
    I've seen these sold as made by Woolworths?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Private purchse brodie/tommy helmet   Private purchse brodie/tommy helmet  

Private purchse brodie/tommy helmet   Private purchse brodie/tommy helmet  

Private purchse brodie/tommy helmet  

Quote by tinlid View Post
    I would say it's private purchase for use on the home front, very similar to mine & lots of others I've seen. Although the liner is different,but knowing the seller who's to say if that crown pad is original to that liner.
    Plus also it's painted grey, I would have thought it might have been painted green or brown by the makers, or the so called officer who was going to wear it in combat.
    I've seen these sold as made by Woolworths?
    Thanks for responding, much appreciated

Indeed, the seller did worry me and as you say he could have played fast and loose with it. A shame really as it looks pretty good, but the risk that it has been messed with and not really knowing what these would go for, but as a homefront lid the value would I think be below that which it would attract as an officers private purchase.
    Regards,

Jerry

?

I have been watching this one out of interest as well and I agree with Aaron that the helmet body was very probably constructed by a private firm the shell looks very steep to me were it makes it's transition from the rim it looks near vertical.

Regards Mark

?

Gieves might well have made the liner, but pretty sure it's private purchase home front.
    Like all the ones I've seen, no name or date on shell or liner, just a size, mostly 7, exactly what the seller has stated.

I saw one of these not long ago with a Belgium liner in it.

It is IMO a WW II private purchase civil defence helmet.

?

Quote by Steelhead10 View Post
    I saw one of these not long ago with a Belgium liner in it.
    I think the Dutch used them postwar for their CD, as well as the civilian protective helmet, plus also the standard Mk2.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast