Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Question about British helmet markings > White rectangular fields

Article about: It could be that the rear of the tankers helmet had the white painted on it for a guide when the wearer was walking in front of the armoured vehicle in poor light, dusk or night, so that the

kc1
    ?

Default Re: Question about British helmet markings > White rectangular fields

It could be that the rear of the tankers helmet had the white painted on it for a guide when the wearer was walking in front of the armoured vehicle in poor light, dusk or night, so that the driver had a visual reference to follow. I've read of cigarettes being used in the same way and the white or yellow discs attached to the rear of British vehicles served the same function and a marker for following drivers in convoy when it wasn't a good idea to show lights.

Actually, that's a very interesting theory. I don't think the white field denotes rank, because in the rare instances where Polish Exile helmets have rank markings, they are almost always NCO rank chevrons to the front of the helmet (although I do have a Polish Tommy helmet with what is believed to be officer markings)...and I can't speak to the practice of the British forces. I thought the white field could have some relevance to training, but then why on the back of the helmet and not the front? So your explanation does seem like a logical one...

Do any members have any other photos of these helmets with unit or national markings, or in colors other than the standard black finish?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2