Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Is this a real M1 or a clone?

Article about: Hello everyone, I have this helmet, which appears to be an M1. I dont know if it is or if its a clone. Can anyone tell me? If it is, can anyone tell what era the chinstraps are from? Thank y

?

Here you go Marty. The liner is not an airborne liner. Looks early sixties? The liner is painted up, have not seen one painted like this before. Not sure what to make of it??

PG-Is this a real M1 or a clone?Is this a real M1 or a clone?Is this a real M1 or a clone?Is this a real M1 or a clone?Is this a real M1 or a clone?Is this a real M1 or a clone?

?

Has anyone seen a liner camo painted like this? Is it a thing? or just some kid playing war in the 70's. It looks old, but it has a shine to it, but the green does too, so.....??? Thanks for your input!!

PG-

Paul,

Not uncommon to see the hi-gloss paint on helmet liners. The helmet liner alone was worn in garrison for various duties to include Guard Duty, CQ (Charge of Quarters) Staff Duty, Flag Detail and others where the helmet would not be necessary. It would also depend on the unit Standard Operating Procedure (SOP) as well as the availability of OD green paint on hand at the time. The paint looks fine to me.

I don't know how many times we had to paint our helmet liners after field problems for inspections.. Was glad when we turned in our M1s for the Kevlar, only to realize that the Kevlar had its issues (single piece helmet with no liner, webbing that gave you the worst headache if you didn't put a washcloth or something on the webbing) and other issues...

Smitty

?

Thank you Smitty! I appreciate your real world insight! Thank you for your service!!

PG-

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2