Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

is this South African Brodie with black markings authentic?

Article about: gday, i was looking around on AVK militaria and i found this south african made brodie with desert tan for sale (definitely south agfrican because of the liner and the three punched holes. I

I love the tail of the rat story. Classic used car salesman stuff.

Quote by Anderson View Post
    I love the tail of the rat story. Classic used car salesman stuff.
    Not a rat tails but may be a "Bull tale"

It is sadly the total Bull***t spouted by the ill-informed or more worryingly the downright dishonest.

The black marks are as Rene mentioned above "stacking rings" caused by stacking helmets for long periods of time one on top of the other with nothing between the liner of one and the shell of the other. The material of the liner over time staining the shell of the helmet below with charactristic black rings.

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Quote by Otto Von Bigmac View Post
    Montgomery's 7th or 8th army.
    8th Army yes. 7th Army no but 7th Armoured Division (whose formation sign was the Desert Rat or Gerboa) was part of 8th Army and still exists today firstly as 7th Armoured Brigade but since 2014 7th Infantry Brigade. Still wearing the Gerboa formation sign.

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Quote by tinlid View Post
    Not one I would want, number looks new, paint is probably post war.
    Agreed, it looks "pimped up".

Plus as we know we should never say never but I don't recall ever seeing South African helmets issued to British units in european green. Happy to be corrected on this point by our resident MkII helmet experts but it would put me off when neither the SA or British are particularly rare without "special features" such as unit markings etc.

Regards

Mark

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2