Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

South African pith helmet

Article about: magicdutchman,Here is mine. Rich A. in Pa.

?

magicdutchman,Here is mine. Rich A. in Pa.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture South African pith helmet   South African pith helmet  

1969 Shelby GT-500 King of the Road
    Knowledge is power, guard it well.

?

hello guys, hope that author of this post doesn't mind my little topic change but recently I have found pictures of South African Irish regiment from East African campaign 1940, can you help to identificate sun helmets they wear on? It looks for me like some US style helmets... these are not typical SA Polo helmets for sure. South African pith helmetSouth African pith helmetSouth African pith helmet

thanks for any help in advance

?

some additional overall photos
    South African pith helmetSouth African pith helmet

?

Nice pics. Rich A. in Pa.

?

I don't now why some pictures changed position autamatically

?

South African pith helmet

here photo with 4 "hatted" men , some polo helmet, wolseley and 2 othere different visible or maybe I am wrong

the sitting guy looks to wear something pre WW1 for me

?

Quote by wlotek View Post
    hello guys, hope that author of this post doesn't mind my little topic change but recently I have found pictures of South African Irish regiment from East African campaign 1940, can you help to identificate sun helmets they wear on? It looks for me like some US style helmets... these are not typical SA Polo helmets for sure. South African pith helmetSouth African pith helmetSouth African pith helmet

thanks for any help in advance
    These are interesting photos wlotek! I love the combination of cartridge carrier and basic pouches on the one soldier and another seems to be carrying an aluminium water bottle. As for the helmets, they look like the Hawley type to me as well. They could have been sent from Canada, as Canadian Hawley helmets in the polo style were supplied to SA forces later in North Africa. I think SA received a lot of supplies from Canada.

?

Nice pics. Rich A. in Pa.

?

Hey Karkee, little offtop but I think interesting as I keep eye on topics regarding SA ww equipment in ww2 as you too.
    i am getting more and more sure that SA during East African Campaign used early made (1939-1940) equipment from Canada (check the 2 pocket ammunition pouches visible on the photo (characteristic for canadian production seam in front of the pouch) and from Britain ( early war aluminium water bottle, as far as i remember they were made from 1938 till the end of 1939 -later they got back to emalled cheaper versions). In some book I found info that, before the start of the war SA was not producing any type of p37 web equipments or steel helmets. Due to lack of supplies from Britain they were forced to start their own production, which was slowly introduced since 1940. The earliest marked p37 equipment parts which I ve found were dated 1942, so for me SA used their own equipment only in Italian campaign.

Regarding the helmet topic, I have bought damaged early hawley fibre helmet which was made in USA (according to article on militarysunhelmets) they were bought by Canada, later HAwley opened second Branch there as you have noticed... so maybe this is good trail in this investigation...
    cheers

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4