Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

South Wales Borderers mk2

Article about: Hello Gents So not to tie up the other thread, I just wanted to post this one for an open discussion, I got it off a friend who got it out the US, probably paid OTT for it, anyway, it does a

?

Default South Wales Borderers mk2

Hello Gents

So not to tie up the other thread, I just wanted to post this one for an open discussion, I am open to all opinions, this is my first British decalled lid, I had one canadian saskatchewan mg with a decal, I got theis SWB off a friend? lol, who got it out the US, probably paid OTT for it, anyway, it does appear in sleepy condition just a question on the decal, use and when? am comfortable having it in hand its been like this for a while, just the context is puzzling, few more pics page 37 here Cheers John mkII (&mkI or earlier) Helmets Steel, British & Commonwealth, show yours
    South Wales Borderers mk2South Wales Borderers mk2South Wales Borderers mk2

?

If the decal had been on an khaki green textured helmet it would be so simple, but being on a repainted helmet it raises more questions.Is it home guard, is it fake?
    Or for some reason it was issued to a soldier, smooth painted rather than textured as is the normal.

Hi John, it is unusual to find a unit marked/decaled helmet on a smooth finish? Looking at the decal under "zoom" it appears to have a lot of splits/tears and cracks to it. Maybe this is an old period decal that was added to the helmet at a later date? That would explain all of the splits as the glue deteriorates over time on an unused decal making it a real pig to transfer firstly off of it's backing paper, but then to also get it to adhere to the next surface? Just my thoughts and by no means a definitive answer! Leon.

The decals were commercially available, made by Gale & Polden and it is a period item, but when it was applied to the overpaint is a big question. This question would probably always niggle, though if I saw one the same local to me and priced to suit my budget I would grab it.

Still a lovely helmet and it would undoubtedly display well, but.....
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

I hear what you are saying guys,
    the decal is a bit wrinkled over the brush marks hence looks a bit split, the one area missing in the wreath had the piece at some point as there is a feint ghosting
    the inside no's must relate to something as this is not standard practice from this maker, offered up in good faith, I will keep hold of it incase anything comes up in the future
    maybe I was too keen on this one