Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Thetford Northern Ireland Combat Helmet WIP

Article about: Howdy Folks! Forgive me if I have posted in the wrong area as I am new to the forum and am yet to become fully confident in finding my way about the place. For my first post, I showcase my T

Default Thetford Northern Ireland Combat Helmet WIP

Howdy Folks!

Forgive me if I have posted in the wrong area as I am new to the forum and am yet to become fully confident in finding my way about the place.

For my first post, I showcase my Thetford Northern Ireland Combat helmet, these helmets served as the forerunner to the kevlar helmets of the British army and the MK6 combat helmet. They were designed for use in Northern Ireland during Operation Banner and seemed to have appeared during the mid-70s either just before or at the same time as the Para m76. I cannot say that they were used all too often but they do pop up in service and members of the Blackwatch can be seen using them in the latter part of the 70s.

They are a particularly hard helmet to find but are an integral part in telling the story of British military equipment in Northern Ireland, luckily I found mine through a contact on Facebook who offered it for a fair price. The helmet itself unfortunatlry is incomplete and several parts are missing and so while I do intend to showcase the helmet, this post may also serve as means of making contact with those who do have these parts. At the moment it is missing some of the screws and bolts as evident by the many holes, along with this both the riot visor and the chin strap supports are also absent. However, all this said the helmet is in remarkable condition with only minor nicks and damages, a piece of yellow tape had been on it but I decided to remove it. As for wearability, it is somewhat hard and crude, possibly a little small for my head but it suits my Mannequin perfectly.

The Front

Side

Side

Inside

Definitely one of the more interesting parts of my collection, and certainly one of my best finds. I hope that I can complete the helmet for a hopeful upcoming project, so if anybody has some bits they would sell or gift let me know.

That's all for now!

slán go fóill!

Pat.

A genuinely uncommon helmet, and not much discussed on Warrelics. Or anywhere else come to that - please let me know if there is something somewhere! But there is a thread in the Composite Helmets section at THETFORD NORTHERN IRELAND HELMET - breakdown which you may find interesting.

Also a few bits at Composite Helmet, Ballistic helmets, Military helmets UNITED KINGDOM, UK HELMETS, BRITISH helmet, Kevlar helmet search the page for 'THETFORD MOULDED PRODUCTS helmet'

Aye Greg, I did see such posts, which prompted me to begin my posts with the Thetford helmet. It's probably one of the rarest Items alongside the Northern Ireland Patrol Boots when it comes to collecting Op Banner items so when someone offered it for less than a hundred I couldn't say no. Would you know of any leads when it comes to the missing pieces, I do plan to possibly get a reproduction riot visor but the other pieces are a mystery.
    Thanks,
    Pat.

Welcome Pat.....stick with the “plastics”....don’t get tempted by all those old fashioned Steelies! ;-)

..your location doesn’t show...so I don’t know where you are...but as they say in the UK, keeeeeeeeeeeeeeep collecting!!!