Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Today's buy - A Zuckerman & gas mask SFP

Article about: As the title states £10 in total! I understand they're nothing special, but I can't moan about the price. Unsure what the SFP stands for on the helmet?

What is the best way to stop the masks from perishing?

A mystery, unfortunately. The specifics of their manufacture have been lost to time, and with them any definite methods of preservation.
    The first thing I'd advise you do is look it over. Pay particular attention to the edges of the facepiece. Look for signs of perishing. If in doubt, flex the rubber and see if cracks appear. If it's in good shape, all you can do is try to keep it that way for as long as possible. Most of them are going to rot sooner or later, being 70-plus years old.
    Try to avoid putting stress on them as well. Be especially wary of mounting them on mannequin heads, as I've had one snap that way after only a short time on display.
    I know that rubber hates light, humidity, heat and oxygen. So a stable environment is essential, but not always possible. Especially in the UK, where house builders haven't heard of this amazing invention called 'air conditioning.' Mind you, most of them have survived this long. Someone must be doing something right!

B.B.

What I've found is this for preservation of rubber is something called 303 Aerospace Protectant, never used it on respirators / gas masks before but maybe worth a try?

303 Aerospace Protectant Cleaner, UV Protector for Vinyl & Rubber Products

https://www.amazon.com/303-30313-CSR...4HV5H2H1KJ12QW
    "Per Ardua"

Thank you

I'd be very careful when it comes to putting anything on gas masks of WW2 vintage. Given nobody knows exactly how they were made, there's the potential for them to react badly to anything they're treated with. Whilst some treatments will have good short term effects, over time they can eat their way into the rubber and cause it to deteriorate.
    As I remember reading on this very forum some time ago, there's a simple treatment that works on all masks: Do nothing.

B.B.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2