Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

Unknown helmet liner mark

Article about: Trying to find out the maker of this M1 liner clone. It is not US, and we suspect some Allied European manufacturer. Resembles US WW2 era liner or Belgian M51 liner, but the 'star' makers ma

Default Unknown helmet liner mark

Trying to find out the maker of this M1 liner clone. It is not US, and we suspect some Allied European manufacturer. Resembles US WW2 era liner or Belgian M51 liner, but the 'star' makers mark is a puzzle. Any suggestions?Unknown helmet liner markUnknown helmet liner mark
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Unknown helmet liner mark  
    Last edited by jimbob1955; 10-13-2020 at 05:54 PM. Reason: adding photo

This is a very early (mid fifties) liner made by Schuberth Werke in Braunschweig (so marked in white ink), Germany. This liner marked with a star was delivered to the Netherlands, in any case.

I Know not whether they were produced for other nations. Might also have been produced for the Bundeswehr for their Zweiteiliger Helm (That's what Germany called the M1 clones that they briefly used).

Could you show us the steel shell coming with it? Specifically the chinstrap buckle.

Very nice and collectable helmet liner over here. Not many around in unmodified state.

Cheers,
    Emile
    Last edited by emileverbunt; 10-14-2020 at 08:18 AM. Reason: additional information

Emile:
    Thank you for the reply and information. This is not my liner, and I don't know if he has the shell. He shared the photos on the USGI M1 Helmet Collectors page and had a bunch of us stumped withe the mark. I've given him the information and I'll let you know if there is a shell. Thank you for solving our mystery! Cheers!

It's a pleasure!

Emile:
    The owner does not have the steel shell but he appreciated your information and will maintain the liner as-is.
    Regards,
    Jim

For comparison here is the "Zweiteilliger Stahlhelm" i owned for a short while.

Zweiteilliger Stahlhelm M56 - First Bundeswehr helmez

I have been told they are quiet rare, and a desirable piece for early bundeswehr collectors.