Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

US 1832 Light Infantry Officers Shako

Article about: A comparison of the regulation 1821 Regular Army Infantry and Artillery shako Eagles and the 1836 Militia Eagle. Notice the 1836 is twice the size of the regulation army eagle. Terry

Default US 1832 Light Infantry Officers Shako

First let me apologize for the quality of the pictures. The Shako is enclosed in a glass case and is very fragile so I didn't want t take it out.

This is one of my favorite pieces of militaria that I have in my collection. It is a 1832 US Light Infantry Officers Shako. A bell crown leather shako with the Silver Infantry eagle and silver cords with tassels as well as silver chin strap (flash makes the eagle look gold but it is a dull silver). Rosette above eagle holds a feathered plume for the light infantry of the period. The rosette depending upon who made the shako would be plain as this one is or have a small infantry button in the center. These bell crown shakos are the second design of head gear for the US Military following the stove pipe style shakos of the 1812 design. These shakos are extremely scarce and very few have survived over the past 177 years or so.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture US 1832 Light Infantry Officers Shako   US 1832 Light Infantry Officers Shako  

US 1832 Light Infantry Officers Shako  

Default Re: US 1832 Light Infantry Officers Shako

I just acquired a Shako just like this from a New England Estate. It is in like condition, but missing it's plume. What is the estimated value? Thanks so Much BenBen

Gorgeous, Hawk...............!

This must have been the very last of it's type. This style may have then
    been popular only in military colleges/schools for a time.
    It has a very strong European influence.

I beileve there is a photo and an illustration of this rare cap in the book:
    'Soldiers In America' by Domenic Troiani.
    Last edited by Walkwolf; 05-18-2011 at 01:29 AM.
    Regards,

Steve.

Benben,
    Sent PM.
    Terry

Steve,
    Actually when I listed this I mistakenly labeled it a "1832 Shako" in reality I should have said "1821 - 1832 Shako". This style of headgear was adopted in 1821 and worn until 1832. It replaced the "Stovepipe" and "Wellington" or "Tombstone" style worn during the War of 1812. The majority of these style bell crown shakos encountered have the militia trappings, it is very rare to find one for the regular army. This particular helmet conforms to the regulations of the period, unlike those found with militia embellishments that vary in size and shape. Since posting this I have done further research and a correction that I must make is that the plume on this shako is actually one for "Light Artillery", Infantry would have been all white, light infantry yellow and rifle companies would be green. This shako cost the govt $3.01 in 1821.
    Terry

It is in fantastic condition for it's age, and I can
    see why it is one of your favourites........
    Regards,

Steve.

US 1832 Light Infantry Officers ShakoUS 1832 Light Infantry Officers Shako

Hi Again..These were the Shakos I was telling you about.
    Ben

?

Very nice early American leather head gear.

Ben,
    Very nice, the first one I believe is a French import that a lot of Militia units wore prior to the outbreak of the Civil War. The second Officers bell crown is also Militia and dates from 1836 up. Notice the large eagle, (these came in 1836) and the flared bill on the shako. Even tho its Militia is is extremely rare with the cords and chin strap. Very nice helmets indeed, you struck gold in these. Will post pic of the diff between militia eagle and regular army eagle in couple min.
    Terry

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast