Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

US 1944 made Front Seam M1 with mystery chinstrap

Article about: Hey all, recently got this helmet for very cheap. If what I found is correct, it is a McCord made M1 from late 1944 that was refurbished in the 50's. I can't find anything on these chinstrap

Default US 1944 made Front Seam M1 with mystery chinstrap

Hey all, recently got this helmet for very cheap.
    If what I found is correct, it is a McCord made M1 from late 1944 that was refurbished in the 50's.
    Lot number: 1017A

I can't find anything on these chinstraps though, not even a Google image..

Note: chinstrap are clamped on, not sown on

Anyone recognise them?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture US 1944 made Front Seam M1 with mystery chinstrap   US 1944 made Front Seam M1 with mystery chinstrap  

US 1944 made Front Seam M1 with mystery chinstrap  

Chinstraps appear to be from the Dutch M53 helmet, and it's very likely this helmet was used by the Dutch army post-WW2.

Quote by earlymb View Post
    Chinstraps appear to be from the Dutch M53 helmet, and it's very likely this helmet was used by the Dutch army post-WW2.
    Think you are right. Looks from the dutch clone helmet (verblifa). The only thing im unsure of is how many original (since this is a us M1 Shell) the dutch purchased and used before they started local produktion in 1953. Another possibility is that it’s Danish. They used original m1 shells from1950 to 1998(army) - 2005 (homeguard) and the only other chinstrap, except US original they ever retrofitted, until til the 1978 introduced “snap on”, was this one. Not in any great quantities, They where more fun’d of rivet on original US ww2 chinstrap.

Another thing. The Dutch was fun’d of stamping shells, either ink or in the actual metal (rim). Is there any kind of stamp present? The danish Army never stamped anything in Shell or liners. At leasy very rare.

Nothing, just the 1017A stamp

This is indeed a Dutch reissued war time M1 helmet.

The Dutch Royal Marines were completely US equiped in 1944-45. The Navy and the Marine Corps kept using these helmets. Most were of course refurbished during the period of use till the early nineties. The Navy and Marine Corps were not particularly fond of the VerBlifa M53. Helmet straps, after refurbishment, were of the typical Dutch design and manufacture. Sometimes the were attached with T1 clamps and sometimes they were rivetted on. In the fifties and sixties replacement liners of US manufacture, were procured.

The army and Air Force used the M1's, small numbers in all it's variants that were in stock, till the early nineties. Although they never rivetted the chinstraps. Only T1 clamps. All helmets were spray painted in the Dutch Army dull green colour. If applicable, the cork structure was removed.

Most Dutch M53's were stamped in the rim, usually in front, with info regarding manufacturer, date and steel batch. Ink stamps regarded inspection results.

The Dutch used helmets produced by McCord, Schlueter, VerBlifa (VB), Linneman und Schnetzer (LS), Vereinigte Duetsche Nickelwerke (VDN) and Ulbricht's Witwe (U's). Liners were produced by all US producers, VerBlifa, Schuberth Werke (N, SH, SW,), Dansk Kunststof Industri (unmarked), Ulbricht's Witwe, (U's)
    NV Beccon (BEC) and two others: Eurocap (EC NL 78) , unknown (H.L. 80).

The US M1 helmets were never stamped in the rim by the Dutch. Possibly there are some inkstamps regarding inspection present in the bowl.

Cheers,
    Emile

Interesting!
    I would assume they are a bit rare in that case as i've never seen one come across for sale nor even in pictures, and i am from The Netherlands so they would probably be most common here!

It does not have a VB marking in the rim no, that would confirm dutch manufacture.
    adding to that, i cant find any inspection stamps in the shell, maybe it is hidden under the fresh new coat of paint it got in the 50's?

These Navy M1 helmets were refurbished in the Naval Yard in Den Helder. Apparently the Navy Yard did not ink stamp them.

They are not common, but not rare either. Keep your eyes peeled and you will find some on Marktplaats.

Cheers,
    Emile

Quote by JustAGuy1250 View Post

It does not have a VB marking in the rim no, that would confirm dutch manufacture.
    That is because the shell isn't Dutch-made, but in the US during the later part of WW2. This paint and chinstraps were added later in Dutch service post-WW2.