Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

US M1 Helmet Pacific Theater Viscant paint

Article about: Hello, Looking for opinions on this M1. I have read the Viscant(gas) paint was used in the Pacific, mostly on vehicles but also on helmets. I also read the two colors used were a Tan and oli

Default US M1 Helmet Pacific Theater Viscant paint

Hello, Looking for opinions on this M1. I have read the Viscant(gas) paint was used in the Pacific, mostly on vehicles but also on helmets. I also read the two colors used were a Tan and olive. Curious to know what others think on this Helmet, and if it falls into that category. Also curious to know opinions on the red cross. I assume it may be something associated with a Chaplain. Thank you in advance.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture US M1 Helmet Pacific Theater Viscant paint   US M1 Helmet Pacific Theater Viscant paint  

US M1 Helmet Pacific Theater Viscant paint   US M1 Helmet Pacific Theater Viscant paint  

US M1 Helmet Pacific Theater Viscant paint   US M1 Helmet Pacific Theater Viscant paint  

?

Sadly, the red cross marking appears to have been applied with marker pen (like a sharpie). The web chinstrap and net seem to be replacements, as their condition does not match that of the shell, while the liner is in near mint condition.
    The shell looks nice, though it doesn’t strike me as specific to... the Pacific!

By all means wait for more enlightened responses.
    Coming soon!

Bob

The issue I have with this kid is that there appears to only be vesicant anti gas paint and nothing underneath it. The anti gas was painted over the OD and there appears to only be bare metal on the shell. There does appear to be a stress crack in the shell, and I have no doubt it is an original but has been repainted at some point. The netting looks too fresh to be original as does the leather chin strap as already noted. Would be good to see clearer photos of the liner and sweatband to ID the date of the liner.

Thank you for the comments, greatly appreciated. here are better and further pics of the liner and webbing.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture US M1 Helmet Pacific Theater Viscant paint   US M1 Helmet Pacific Theater Viscant paint  

The red cross does appear to be some type of marker or such, post war. I do understand the use of large painted red crosses were not widely used in the pacific as the Japanese did not respect the red cross and became a bright target. I am not convinced the net is original either.
    Jjohn

I would like to see better close up pictures of the chinstrap buckles,stitching on the straps, front of the helmet. What is the heat stamp number of the helmet? I am not sure of anything at the moment but I have more question than answers.

Thanks,
    Marty
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

?

The first image appears to show straight stitching on the chinstrap, rather than bar-stitch..
    As Marty says, more detailed images are desirable, but I’m fairly confident it’s a ‘bitser’; assembled from a mixture of (mostly) original and replica parts, in varying states of preservation.

All the best,
    Bob

Just for the record: the M5 vesicant detection paint turned reddish brown in the presence of liquid vesicants (such as mustard gas), though only remained effective for one to a few months, depending upon conditions, before requiring re-application.

Quote by Kohima View Post
    The first image appears to show straight stitching on the chinstrap, rather than bar-stitch..
    As Marty says, more detailed images are desirable, but I’m fairly confident it’s a ‘bitser’; assembled from a mixture of (mostly) original and replica parts, in varying states of preservation.

All the best,
    Bob

Just for the record: the M5 vesicant detection paint turned reddish brown in the presence of liquid vesicants (such as mustard gas), though only remained effective for one to a few months, depending upon conditions, before requiring re-application.
    Indeed, found this out the hard way when cleaning an M1 helmet relic with chemical cleaner, ended up with a red M1!!!

Hey gents, it looks like the name "Boswell" is written on the nape strap. There's also two laundry numbers: P-4389 and 4913. Since the letter in a laundry number is the first letter of the surname, two people must have owned this helmet.

I searched up Boswell and 4913 in the US army enlistment records and was able to find a Wilson Clifton Boswell from Delaware who joined the US army in 1941 and served in the medical department. He died in 2009 aged 90.

I think this is our man - however, even though his name is in the liner does NOT mean that the shell is his too. It could be a put together set. It would be interesting to see if the condition of the liner matches the shell. If so, then this may be a sweet score of an ID'd lid.

Here's a link to Boswell:

Wilson C Boswell: Person, pictures and information - Fold3.com

And here's a photo of what I read as "BOSWELL"

US M1 Helmet Pacific Theater Viscant paint

Hope this helps provide some insight. I would suggest looking for other records on Mr. Boswell - check out old newspapers and see if you can find what branch he was in, or any info that may give reason to the red cross and vesicant paint.

Cheers,
    Quinn