Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

WW1 Adrian helmet, orginal?

Article about: Hello everyone, Today I came across this Adrian helmet and was thinking about finally adding one to my collection. However I do not know allot about Adrian helmet and thus I would like to kn

Default WW1 Adrian helmet, orginal?

Hello everyone,

Today I came across this Adrian helmet and was thinking about finally adding one to my collection. However I do not know allot about Adrian helmets and thus I would like to know if this one is 100% original. Also is the helmet in it's ww1 configuration or not? Brown paint is post WW1?
    Any help would be much appreciated!

best regards,
    Lucas
    WW1 Adrian helmet, orginal?WW1 Adrian helmet, orginal?WW1 Adrian helmet, orginal?WW1 Adrian helmet, orginal?WW1 Adrian helmet, orginal?WW1 Adrian helmet, orginal?WW1 Adrian helmet, orginal?WW1 Adrian helmet, orginal?
    WW1 Adrian helmet, orginal?WW1 Adrian helmet, orginal?WW1 Adrian helmet, orginal?

It certainly looks OK, and the liner is of the 2nd pattern. Artillery regiments tended to paint their helmets this colour. The badge looks a different shade to the helmet, maybe this is a replacement. Have you checked the tabs holding it in place? Is the paint applied to the helmet behind the badge? If not, check that the unpainted area matches the outline of the artillery badge. if you look at the images of my officers helmet you will see that the colour is practically identical.

Cheers,
    Steve

WW1 Adrian helmet, orginal?WW1 Adrian helmet, orginal?

?

The mustard brown paint is typical of colonial troops (matching their khaki brown uniforms), whereas metropolitan units would retain the standard horizon blue (Harry, I have never heard of metropolitan French artilleurs painting their helmets brown, and am interested to know where you heard this ).
    I am unsure of the name carved into the paint, though it seems ‘colonial’ in character.

With the provisos mentioned by Harry, regarding chinstrap repair/replacement (should be a riveted, one-piece item - thin, fragile and often missing 100 years later), and the originality of the emblem, it is indeed a nice French Colonial Artillerie Adrian.

Quote by Kohima View Post
    The mustard brown paint is typical of colonial troops (matching their khaki brown uniforms), whereas metropolitan units would retain the standard horizon blue (Harry, I have never heard of metropolitan French artilleurs painting their helmets brown, and am interested to know where you heard this ).
    I am unsure of the name carved into the paint, though it seems ‘colonial’ in character.

With the provisos mentioned by Harry, regarding chinstrap repair/replacement (should be a riveted, one-piece item - thin, fragile and often missing 100 years later), and the originality of the emblem, it is indeed a nice French Colonial Artillerie Adrian.
    I never mentioned the chinstrap repair... and as for the colour, I cannot remember where I got this information from. My Officer's Adrian is named to Commandant Caillard and he was serving with 48th Artillery regiment, and this was not a Colonial regiment!

Cheers,
    Steve

?

I would echo the same points, the badge looks original but not to the helmet, as it is a re-paint I would expect the badge to be painted over. The strap looks like it's been extended, he may have been a big guy.

The brown paint, I also not sure is strictly colonial, the factory painted mustard definitely was for colonial units, the overpaints I think it's anyone's guess.

Steve.

Thank you all very much for your responses, I decided to pass up on it, as nice as the helmet was I want one with a badge that is original to the helmet.
    Have a nice day everyone