Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

ww2 Australian medic helmet?

Article about: I got this helmet mid 2020 for \\$20 Aud and I was curious if the decal is period or not. I believe the liner is a real unissued one and sadly its missing it's liner screw and nut as well as i

Default ww2 Australian medic helmet?

I got this helmet mid 2020 for $20 Aud and I was curious if the decal is period or not.
    I believe the liner is a real unissued one and sadly its missing it's liner screw and nut as well as its chinstrap.
    The shell is manufactured by Commonwealth Steel Co Ltd, unsure as to what the number means but I guess its a serial/lot number
    Any help is appreciated.

CS Commonwealth Steel known now as Comsteel, still in Waratah in Newcastle..can you take a photo of the cross in the sun. It will help to see if it's good. I've never seen a WW2 AIF medics that's been period painted, so hopefully this is one.

Quote by Antipater View Post
    I got this helmet mid 2020 for $20 Aud and I was curious if the decal is period or not.
    I believe the liner is a real unissued one and sadly its missing it's liner screw and nut as well as its chinstrap.
    The shell is manufactured by Commonwealth Steel Co Ltd, unsure as to what the number means but I guess its a serial/lot number
    Any help is appreciated.
    Helmet looks OK but you will need better pics for firm authentication.

The red cross is not a decal but seems to me to be painted which is more in keeping with the period. It looks OK but again good well lit close up images are the key.

The missing liner bolt is not a major problem as they are out there;

Original WW2 British Army Brodie / Turtle Mk1/2/3/4 Helmet Dome Screw & Nut Set | eBay

You may not wish to pay the price given what you paid for the helmet but a repro is as easily found at about half the price;

brass nut and bolt for Brodie / Tommy helmet liner | eBay

Bear in mind that you will need to compare a few as the pattern did vary according to helmet variations/models. In the case of a repro bolt being used close will be close enough I suppose.

If the liner has markings which it most likely does you should show those too as they can be significant.

Remember, in all cases for authentication good quality images in which the smallest details are visible will always be crucial. It's a lot harder to judge from an image on a monitor than with the item in hand.

I hope this helps.

Regards
    Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

it appears to be hand painted

sadly the only marking on the liner is the size 7 1/4

watchdog thanks for nut and bolt links its very much appreciated

The Red cross badge appears to have some age to it and looks contemporary to the paintwork on the outside of the helmet. You paid a good price I think.