Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

WW2 British & Canadian Helmets, Crash, & Helmets, Steel, Royal Armoured Corps.

Article about: The first helmets for use in armoured vehicles were the Helmet, Crash, Royal Armoured Corps,sometime in the late 1930's.They seem to be made of cork & covered in material, I believe they

?

It is, the flashes had been overpainted but the friend I got it from had carefully exposed this one, on the other side its still covered but you can tell its there - I've considered having a go at uncovering that one too but always put off as its one of those things that can easily be messed up - also the cover up seems to have been done a while ago (probably while in service) so painting over it is part of its history

?

All original SG helmets, whatever type I've seen, have a flash either side.

?

First pattern HCRAC, believed to have been used from 1936?
    The front crash pad is from the outside the first thing that is different from the later models, it has an upward look to it.
    Made by Helmets Ltd, the name stamped into the leather, as opposed to just a paper label.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW2 British & Canadian Helmets, Crash, & Helmets, Steel, Royal Armoured Corps.   WW2 British & Canadian Helmets, Crash, & Helmets, Steel, Royal Armoured Corps.  

WW2 British & Canadian Helmets, Crash, & Helmets, Steel, Royal Armoured Corps.   WW2 British & Canadian Helmets, Crash, & Helmets, Steel, Royal Armoured Corps.  

WW2 British & Canadian Helmets, Crash, & Helmets, Steel, Royal Armoured Corps.   WW2 British & Canadian Helmets, Crash, & Helmets, Steel, Royal Armoured Corps.  

?

The only picture I have of these helmets being used.
    Attached Images Attached Images WW2 British & Canadian Helmets, Crash, & Helmets, Steel, Royal Armoured Corps. 

?

As far as I know there are five producers of the HCRAC, Helmets Ltd, Vero, J.C.S.& Webb, Empire, & Patent Pulp Co.

For over ten years I have been after an Empire made one, and guess what, two come at the same time.

The first one has the flash for, A squadron Inniskilling Dragoon's, it has been over painted, maybe to tone it down a bit as it hasn't been completely obliterated.

These Empire HCRAC are never dated on the liner where the maker name is, but on the inside is the ink stamp W^D Q, 1940.

Impressed in the top of the helmet is a 3 with three dots, this is to show that the liner for this size helmet would be,7, 7 1/8, 7 1/4.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW2 British & Canadian Helmets, Crash, & Helmets, Steel, Royal Armoured Corps.   WW2 British & Canadian Helmets, Crash, & Helmets, Steel, Royal Armoured Corps.  

?

More.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5