Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Zuckerman Helmet - Shelter Warden

Article about: Hello, This one was a gamble which paid off. Home Front helmets are expensive these days, what with a certain book having been published recently, so when one comes along at a good price it'

Default Zuckerman Helmet - Shelter Warden

Hello,

This one was a gamble which paid off. Home Front helmets are expensive these days, what with a certain book having been published recently, so when one comes along at a good price it's easy to be suspicious. This is an example of the Civilian Protective Helmet, or CPH, usually referred to as the Zuckerman helmet. These are not uncommon by any means, and are seldom expensive when they do turn up. The exception are helmets which feature uncommon or unique markings, such as this one.

Originally plain green, as many Zuckermans were when they left the factory, this one has been given a coat of black paint, presumably to match the shade used on the Mk2 helmets more commonly employed by Wardens and other members of the ARP/Civil Defence. 'SHELTER WARDEN' has been stenciled across the brow of the helmet, though the stenciling has sadly suffered some chipping and one significant impact to the 'W'. Aside from a few other bumps and the usual wear around the brim, the black paintwork is otherwise unmarked.

The interior of the helmet is in respectable condition, with some soiling and insect damage to the liner, and some light rust under the factory green paint. The helmet is a large size, manufactured by Pressed Steel Co. (a subsidiary of Morris Motors) in January 1941, a very early production date for these helmets, considering they started in the December of 1940. The liner also appears to have been further modified with foam buffer pads, stuck to the liner band between it and the shell. As is common with these helmets, there is no chinstrap, and the liner has been secured to the shell with a shoelace.

I'm pretty proud of this find. I was sweating waiting for it to turn up (and not just because we're in the middle of a heatwave), as from the seller's pictures it looked very new, but in hand the age of the paint and general wear is apparent. It came from Birmingham, which means it may have been used in one of the large public shelters there, but there is nothing tying the helmet to the city beyond the seller's location, which is obviously some pretty ropey provenance!

Zuckerman Helmet - Shelter Warden Zuckerman Helmet - Shelter Warden Zuckerman Helmet - Shelter Warden Zuckerman Helmet - Shelter Warden Zuckerman Helmet - Shelter Warden Zuckerman Helmet - Shelter Warden

Regards, B.B.

?

Nice helmet, I had a similar Shelter Warden CPH once, I'll see if I can find a photo of it. As you say these are no longer the under £5 car boot sale items.

Steve.

Quote by Tinhat View Post
    Nice helmet, I had a similar Shelter Warden CPH once, I'll see if I can find a photo of it. As you say these are no longer the under £5 car boot sale items.

Steve.
    Definitely not that cheap any more, but I didn’t pay much more than that! Bargains can still be had of luck is on your side. Looking forward to seeing your example.

B.B.

But ya gotta love a Zuck! I was viewing a collection at the weekend and there it was...tucked in the corner on the floor....THE Zuck. In fact I often wonder if Zuck ownership is a condition of collecting Brit HF lids - I think it should be law :-) And yours is a turned-uppy too - a lot of folk don't appreciate the MASSIVE ( ;-) ) differences in the rims...turned up, turned down and separate rim piece...so that alone is reason for all collectors to have at least 3. How how "Zucks of the Home Front"?...to push the market price up???...where's my keyboard.....

Oh, and I meant to say Thank You....I find reading down the "New Posts" screens.....screen after screen of "Flugerhighup", "DDSS drooptail kreigs" and "Panzer clasps" somewhat depressing - I smiled like an idiot when I read "Zuckerman"...it was like a shaft of brilliant light in a world of darkness....when it's raining...and a bit nippy. Thank you for the light.

Quote by Composite View Post
    Oh, and I meant to say Thank You....I find reading down the "New Posts" screens.....screen after screen of "Flugerhighup", "DDSS drooptail kreigs" and "Panzer clasps" somewhat depressing - I smiled like an idiot when I read "Zuckerman"...it was like a shaft of brilliant light in a world of darkness....when it's raining...and a bit nippy. Thank you for the light.
    I have an enduring love of Home Front gear, particularly helmets, that isn’t likely to fade anytime soon. As long as I’m about, you can expect something to come up every now and then. Thank you for pointing out the turned-up brim. I hadn’t noticed, but now I look at my other Zuckerman I can see the difference!

B.B.

Nice find, a pity the owner never stuck his name inside it but you can't have everything.

Quote by BlackCat1982 View Post
    Nice find, a pity the owner never stuck his name inside it but you can't have everything.
    Names are a nice bonus. It's an equal shame that the ARP service records were lost/destroyed postwar. Even if you have a full name and service number, the chances of it being successfully researched are slim to none. A name at least adds a personal touch.

B.B.

Quote by BrodieBartfast View Post
    Names are a nice bonus. It's an equal shame that the ARP service records were lost/destroyed postwar. Even if you have a full name and service number, the chances of it being successfully researched are slim to none. A name at least adds a personal touch.

B.B.
    Well with a name and a possible location you might have found him in the 1939 records as they list occupations such as ARP etc. I think the gloss finish to the paint would have made me nervous but always better to have them in hand to make the call. I've not been tempted to add a Zuckerman to the collection, I think they are a bit like Marmite (and I like Marmite).

?

was HOME FRONT GEAR SUBSTANDARD, in MANUFACTURING. NOT UP TO COMBAT STANDARDS? CLOTHING, AND HEAD GEAR, TORCHES, ETC.? just courious?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast