Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Zuckerman Helmet - Shelter Warden

Article about: Hello, This one was a gamble which paid off. Home Front helmets are expensive these days, what with a certain book having been published recently, so when one comes along at a good price it'

Quote by toot View Post
    was HOME FRONT GEAR SUBSTANDARD, in MANUFACTURING. NOT UP TO COMBAT STANDARDS? CLOTHING, AND HEAD GEAR, TORCHES, ETC.? just courious?
    Certainly headgear (helmets) were not to the same standard as Army issue - hence on some Brodies you see them with three holes in the brim to denote that they are not "combat ready" headgear. I'm assuming the hole in this Zuckerman implies the same thing, but the experts will opine.

That's correct. The two holes drilled in the brim of the Zuckerman (one at the front and one at the back) indicated the steel used in manufacture was of an inferior quality, and wasn't suitable for use in a combat environment. Gear employed on the Home Front played second fiddle to stuff manufactured for combat troops, especially in the war's early years. The services on the Home Front made do with a combination of hand-me-downs, factory rejects and equipment cobbled together in haste from whatever was available at the time.

That's not to say it couldn't do the job, of course. Some of the war's best technological inventions were born of desperation (see the Sten gun).

B.B.

Its ironic that they kitted out civil defence helmets that might not stop a bullet - they never mentioned bombs, burning buildings or incendiaries falling on top of them...

?

The two holes are for transporting the helmets, I think bundles of 10/12 were tied together using these holes.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Zuckerman Helmet - Shelter Warden  

Quote by tinlid View Post
    The two holes are for transporting the helmets, I think bundles of 10/12 were tied together using these holes.
    An interesting historical tidbit, thanks for that!

B.B.

?

thanks guys for the great responce to my question. it sounds like DAD'S ARMY, making do with what you are issued! any one seen the old series? is it close to reality? just courious?

?

Well it looks like I've lost all of my archived photos so I can't post it.
    Steve

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2