Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders Balmoral bonnet

Article about: Here's one that is seen less often than the other regiments versions. I don't think it is less common than any of the others for any specific reason except that the Argylls seemed (In my exp

Default Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders Balmoral bonnet

Here's one that is seen less often than the other regiments versions. I don't think it is less common than any of the others for any specific reason except that the Argylls seemed (In my experience anyway) to favour the Glengarry even in No1 Dress (Ceremonial) when the Balmoral was technically prescribed by regulations. Most of the more recent reference books seem to omit it too.

This one is dated 1962 and has a nickel cap badge which is correct for the period as the anodised aluminium (Staybrite) badge was introduced circa the mid '60s.
    The red cloth backing to the cap badge has no historical or traditional significance but is an affectation that was not official but tolerated in parts of the regiment (pipers for example) from the end of the Victorian period until amalgamation into The Royal Regiment of Scotland. So, if you see one without a red backing it is not wrong and neither is it "text book".

If anyone has other examples please add them here for reference.

Regards

Mark
    Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders Balmoral bonnetArgyll and Sutherland Highlanders Balmoral bonnetArgyll and Sutherland Highlanders Balmoral bonnetArgyll and Sutherland Highlanders Balmoral bonnet
    Last edited by Watchdog; 10-13-2022 at 12:07 AM. Reason: typo
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Nice cap, love the clear markings
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Thanks Gerry, I nearly missed it but there is also the rectangle with broad arrow and four digits (?1974?) which many people often take as being a date. I know it isn't but I must admit to being unsure of what it does actually represent. I have seen 1974 on many caps from different years both balmoral bonnets and glengarry caps including those that were brand new from stores in the late '70s / early '80s. Do you know?

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

I think it is an inspection mark
    Regards,

Jerry

a similar mark inside a cap from the 70's/80's
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders Balmoral bonnet  
    Regards,

Jerry

Quote by Jerry B View Post
    I think it is an inspection mark
    That's how I have always understood it but I just can't back that up with evidence.
    I remember it well from my own service during the '70s - '90s when it was to be seen on many different items and predominantly on headdress of all units. As I recall the number on headdress was always 1974 or very similar which caused many to insist it was a date which it clearly isn't. I think the number was different on varying categories of kit (I am sure I have seen it even on furniture) so I reckon it is likely an acceptance mark applied in the stores system rather than at the same time as the makers marks which would explain why the definition of the stamp never matches the maker mark. It would also explain why it is not found on 100% of a particular item as the acceptance mark on things other than hardware tends to be based on "dip sampling" of batches. I can't imagine inspecting and stamping every single piece!

It would just be nice to know for sure and I am certain there is a list somewhere. It would be very useful in gauging authenticity of rare items if for instance you could spot a rogue stamp for tables and chairs appearing on a beret!

Regards

Mark

you can see from the example I posted that has a 1227 mark and this other from a 1964 dated cap has the /I\ 1228 mark.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders Balmoral bonnet   Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders Balmoral bonnet  

Regards,

Jerry

Quote by Jerry B View Post
    you can see from the example I posted that has a 1227 mark and this other from a 1964 dated cap has the /I\ 1228 mark.
    Yes, maybe my memory playing tricks and I must say that when I first noticed it as I recall was in the late '70s whilst serving in Scotland and it was on glengarry caps that I first paid any mind to it. It could also be an individual inspectors stamp with no real relevance to the item itself I suppose. I have just glanced over these for so many years simply regarding them as extra signs of authenticity but not an issue if not present. I'm starting to become curious now

Regards

Mark

?

Mark,

First off, great bonnet! I have an A&S Kilmarnock in my collection and it one of my favorites, after my Cameronians bonnet.

For the rectangular acceptance/inspection mark, as we have said many times on this forum, dating headgear after the WD inspection/acceptance mark was discontinued, is difficult. I have been researching the markings and am getting a better understanding of the different inspection marks and when they were used. However, gaps remain.

The earliest I have seen the 4-digit inspection mark (usually beginning with 12##) and broad arrow in a rectangle is 1962 on Robert Mackie & Co. and Hood of Kilbirnie glengarries (and now your A&S bonnet). However, I am not sure what marking was used from the WD "X' (1959) to 1962. In 1964 the War Department became the MoD, which may have been when the change was made, if not for the 1962 date.

I have seen the rectangle inspection mark used on glengarries from the 1970s, but also the Broad Arrow with 4 to 5 digits underneath. I have an A&S glengarry sealed in 1975 and then resealed in 1997 with both inspection tags still attached. The inspection mark inside the glengarry is a broad arrow with four numbers directly under it. I have seen this marking used up to the 1980s. However, I also have a Gordon Highlanders glengarry with an adhesive tag that has the rectangle inspection mark and the contract code “A/78” used from the mid-1960s to 1979. Since the tag also has an NSN, the glengarry was made between 1974 and 1979.

I have not seen the rectangle inspection mark after the 1970s. Instead, I see the use of a contract number. However, the contract numbers can help to identify the date.

Of course, the real problem is when there are no markings. Then you have to go by the construction of the glengarry. For example, is the diced band blended into the body of the glengarry, or separate?

I was able to determine the dates for contracts with a lot of help from another forum and by looking at multiple pictures of tags on military clothing that have the date and the contract number for going back to the 1960s. As you can see, some overlap.

Here is what I have so far. It is a work in progress.

A/78 - early-mid 1960s to 1979
    CT2, CT3, CT4 - 1979 to 1985
    SL31 - 1983 to 1990
    SL32 - 1985 to 1994
    SL33 - 1989 to 1995
    SL34 - 1990 to 1994
    ST1 - 1994 to 2003
    ST2 – 2003 to XXXX
    CT33B -
    CT34 - 1995 to 1997
    CT1A - 1996 to 1997
    CC2 - 1996 to 2007
    OC2 - 2002 to 2003
    CC - 2004 to 2007
    DC1, DC2, ESL - 2003 to at least 2010
    DC3
    DC
    LSL/DC - XXXX to at least 2020

Reid

?

I have a few Scottish Regimental (Kilmarnock, Atholl, Balmoral, Lowland) bonnets I can post with different dates and markings.