Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders WWII Glengarry cap

Article about: Nothing amazing about this one but I was pleased to find one in such good condition. There is general low level wear and one tiny moth nip at the rear close to the tails but otherwise very g

Default Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders WWII Glengarry cap

Nothing amazing about this one but I was pleased to find one in such good condition.
    There is general low level wear and one tiny moth nip at the rear close to the tails but otherwise very good indeed.

The Argylls used a red and white diced band rather than the red/white/blue or red/white/green of other regiments so the only other badge one should see on these is that of "attached personnel" (cooks, clerks, mechanics etc). The badge is a standard white metal (as used until the Staybrite badges appeared) other ranks type and is the only badge ever to have been fitted (no extra or displaced holes). The lining is also marked with a good makers stamp. The WD date stamp would not be clear except that what can be seen of the year letter could not be anything other than a 'P' (IMO) for 1941. Coincidentally, under the makers name it seems to be marked "194L" so perhaps the 'L' is an error or substitute for '1'? I'm not sure.

Anyway I like it.

All comments welcome.

Regards

Mark
    Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders WWII Glengarry capArgyll and Sutherland Highlanders WWII Glengarry capArgyll and Sutherland Highlanders WWII Glengarry capArgyll and Sutherland Highlanders WWII Glengarry capArgyll and Sutherland Highlanders WWII Glengarry cap
    Last edited by Watchdog; 04-25-2022 at 05:26 PM. Reason: typo
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

?

Had a look at that one when it went up for sale. Knew it would be sold quite quickly as glengarrys don’t often come with confirmed war time dates.

Quote by Jb4046 View Post
    Had a look at that one when it went up for sale. Knew it would be sold quite quickly as glengarrys don’t often come with confirmed war time dates.
    Thanks John,
    Yep, I have a total of 12 variations on the A&SH cap badge (there seem to be more than with most regiments) so I wasn't really on that much of a quest but this one seemed to be head and shoulders above what usually turns up so it was a bit of a no brainer to be honest!

Did you view the Gordons TOS I posted?

Gordon Highlanders Officers TOS (Tam O'Shanter) bonnet with Silver cap badge

It was a bit of a treat in terms of cost but I've never seen another quite as good!

(I think you said your old man was a Gordon so he might like to see it?)

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

?

Nice one as well! Lucky you. Yeah my dad likes that antler style when they almost cross over. I have been tempted to get just a silver hallmarked Gordon’s badge by itself ( two ww1 and ww2 ones I have noted but they are between £200-300 just for the badge!)

I do have my own ww2 dated 1941 Gordon’s TOS but it’s just the plain normal soldiers one with no tartan backing which is period correct by itself. I think you have seen that one