Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 23 of 24 FirstFirst ... 13 19 20 21 22 23 24 LastLast

Aussie WW2 Slouch Hats

Article about: Lovely hats! Always wanted to have an example, but never managed to get one yet. Rob

?

Default My War Dated and Post War Slouch Hats

A bit late to the game but I thought I'd share my two Australian slouch hats from my RAAF collection.

First is a 1944 dated true RAAF hat with the 4 vents per side, no side clip and the removeable sweat band.

Aussie WW2 Slouch Hats Aussie WW2 Slouch HatsAussie WW2 Slouch Hats
    Aussie WW2 Slouch Hats Aussie WW2 Slouch Hats

My 1952 dated post war hat of a more typical design than my RAAF specific hat. The RAAF flash came with the hat, not sure if original to the hat.

Aussie WW2 Slouch Hats Aussie WW2 Slouch Hats Aussie WW2 Slouch Hats

?

Lovely hats. Do you think the loose fold puggaree and Rising Sun was swapped over from another hat?

?

Thanks for your comment, and your guess is as good as mine. I bought the hat from a collector in the UK who had no history on the hat. I haven't removed the puggaree from the hat so not aware of any markings on it.

Greetings all. As this thread seems to be the most comprehensive and analytical for Australian Slouch Hats, I hope I might get some opinions regarding a recent acquisition. 1942 Northcote Hat Co. Seems to have gad some minor repairs, But I hope it is what its purported to be. Thanks Paul
    Aussie WW2 Slouch HatsAussie WW2 Slouch HatsAussie WW2 Slouch HatsAussie WW2 Slouch Hats

?

For good opinions we need sharp, close up photos of the main details. I have improved the stamp image but a daylight close-up would be better. Can you also see any stamps inside the puggaree?

Aussie WW2 Slouch Hats

Thanks and apologies for poor pics. I've learnt that clumsy fingers probing at aged fragile textiles in search of stamps and labels usually ends up in tears. However I snuk a peek under 1 side of the pugaree and found a stamp which hopefully some light may be shed upon. Im afraid I cant improved beyond the makers mark and surmise that this hat is an intact 1942 item ... perhaps an era of transition between hooks and press studs.
    That being said my pics seem to be reduced from 3MB to 270kB in the upload
    Much thanks in advance for any opinions and advice.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Aussie WW2 Slouch Hats   Aussie WW2 Slouch Hats  

?

I don't think I can see anything wrong with the hat myself. It would have been the very last maker-named hats before they went to maker codes. Is there a provenance story to go with the jacket or a soldiers name? Its a minty example.

Quote by Ubique View Post
    I don't think I can see anything wrong with the hat myself. It would have been the very last maker-named hats before they went to maker codes. Is there a provenance story to go with the jacket or a soldiers name? Its a minty example.
    I believe it was about the same time that they went over to using popper fastening for the turn up and stopped using cloth trim on the edge, both of these were done until post war when both features were reintroduced
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

The dealer I bought it from claimed to have purchased it directly from Bertram Perkins. He was enlisted from 1940 to 1945 and served in the 2/14 Battalion which had a proud record of service and valour
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Aussie WW2 Slouch Hats   Aussie WW2 Slouch Hats  

Aussie WW2 Slouch Hats   Aussie WW2 Slouch Hats  

Hello! About postwar RAAF Slouch hats...I have seen with a frontal badge...as well with a lateral patch...what is the difference? Thank you

Page 23 of 24 FirstFirst ... 13 19 20 21 22 23 24 LastLast