Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

Auxilliary Territorial Service (ATS) womens field service cap (side hat)

Article about: This is the less common of the two main headdress worn by the girls of the ATS during the war (ATS only existed from 1938 - 49 when it became part of the Women's Royal Army Corps / WRAC). Mo

Default Auxilliary Territorial Service (ATS) womens field service cap (side hat)

This is the less common of the two main headdress worn by the girls of the ATS during the war (ATS only existed from 1938 - 49 when it became part of the Women's Royal Army Corps / WRAC).

Most images that tend to appear show the women's khaki SD cap, the type our late Queen Elizabeth II was always seen in.

This example is in very good condition with minimal wear and just one small moth hole beside the GS buttons at the front.

It seems to be a kind of "premium" quality as the lining is quite fine unlike the the more coarse material usually seen and the head band is of a beige velvet like material.

It did have what appeared to be the residue of ladies make up on the front edge where it would contact the wearer's forehead but that brushed off easily. Unlike the modern stuff which seems to have a nuclear half-life and a rating on the Rockwell hardness scale!!

This is one piece of militaria I can show to the misses and say "this is what your mum used to wear" which helps from time to time with the overall attitude towards the collection

Regards

Mark

Auxilliary Territorial Service (ATS) womens field service cap (side hat)Auxilliary Territorial Service (ATS) womens field service cap (side hat)Auxilliary Territorial Service (ATS) womens field service cap (side hat)Auxilliary Territorial Service (ATS) womens field service cap (side hat)
    Last edited by Watchdog; 01-31-2023 at 05:35 PM. Reason: typo
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

?

Mark,

Great purchase!

I have always liked the colors and style of side caps, but I have to stick with my collecting focus, or I will soon run out of room (and money). The exception I have made is for Intelligence Corps side caps. The other exception I would make is for a Royal Scots Greys officer side cap...

I hope other collectors will post their side caps to the forum.

Reid

?

That is a lovely example, Mark.
    The only ATS headgear I have is a beautiful quality Officer’s SD cap, which came with tunic, the smallest Sam Browne you have ever seen, note book and wedding photo (she had a private purchase greatcoat, with red satin lining - which she was terrified of getting into trouble over - but threw it out, as it had a little moth damage)!
    A swanky FS cap is a must have though!