Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

EGYPT Feather Bonnet - Gordon Highlanders?

Article about: I am new to this forum, and have been reading through threads. I see there are fine, knowledgeable collectors here. My question ... I've acquired this Scottish feather bonnet, with a lovely

?

Default EGYPT Feather Bonnet - Gordon Highlanders?

I am new to this forum, and have been reading through threads. I see there are fine, knowledgeable collectors here.

My question ...

I've acquired this Scottish feather bonnet, with a lovely "EGYPT" emblem on the front. My knowledge of these bonnets is next to nothing, so I've been trying to do some research. From what I can make out it MAY be from a WWI-era campaign, or possibly from the 1880s. I'm seeing information about an Egyptian Rebellion, perhaps an association with Gordon Highlanders ... and that this may be a military band member's headgear rather than a soldier's.

OK, I know you're all rolling your eyes by now! Can anyone kindly straighten me out about what this really is?

MUCH APPRECIATED!

MAP
    ?

Welcome to the forum tlite.

I was going to make a comment on what it "looks" like but thought better of it...LoL

But really, someone should be around to help shortly. I know zilch about these.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

Haha! Thank you.

Well,f irst of all never let a British Army bandsman ever hear you say he is not a soldier. You might get a very positive demonstration that he is!!! It might be a little different now I suppose but traditionally regimental bandsmen, pipers, buglers, drummers etc have been fully trained soldiers and in an infantry regiment would be in HQ Company and have a battlefield role particularly as medics.

Anyway, I digress. These are on the edge of my knowledge I must say but I do know that yours is not to the Gordon Highlanders rather it is to the Black Watch (42nd Highlanders). The "Egypt emblem" is actually a cap badge and is called a "Sphinx" and it reflects the battle honour "Egypt" awarded to the regiment in 1802 for action in Egypt in 1801 against the French. The device is common in the insignia of many regiments with the same battle honour (sometimes the sphinx is seen without "Egypt" on the tablet and this indicates a sub-unit within a regiment with the battle honour but which sub-unit did not participate in that campaign. Usually a reserve or territorial battalion for example). I believe this badge used on the feather bonnet was limited to the Victorian period (not sure when it ended) and it is not currently worn in this way, latterly the full Black Watch capbadge has been used on the feather bonnet. I think (again not sure) that this was an officers badge rather than all ranks and I am not familiar with that particular pattern shown here. I also believe there should be a red feather hackle behind the badge as well (other colours were worn but these indicated such as a flank company and the main Black Watch hackle is bright red. The history of the red hackle has several explanations but none is recorded as being the offical one. However, the Black Watch do celebrate Red Hackle Day every year.

I hope this helps you decide where to look further.

Regards

Mark

PS Originally the feather bonnet was worn by all ranks even in the field but later became restricted to the pipe band and officers under some circumstances. Everyone else wears a Balmoral Bonnet (same basic design as the khaki Tam O' Shanter or TOS as it is known in the Army) when in full dress in the Black Watch. Officers and SNCO' wear a navy glengarry without dice in mess kit but that's another topic.
    Last edited by Watchdog; 04-19-2018 at 02:48 PM. Reason: PS
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

I must agree with Mark. Most likely a Victorian era Officer's bonnet of the Black Watch. Appears to be missing the large 'feather' behind the badge.
    Regards
    Attached Images Attached Images EGYPT Feather Bonnet - Gordon Highlanders? 

?

Thank you, Mark, for all the excellent information!

?

Great! Thank you, Chris!

Quote by christek View Post
    I must agree with Mark. Most likely a Victorian era Officer's bonnet of the Black Watch. Appears to be missing the large 'feather' behind the badge.
    Regards
    Thanks Chris, that green hackle is what I was talking about when I referred to a different colour (Black Watch regimental coluor is red) indicating a flank company.

Regards

Mark
    Last edited by Watchdog; 04-20-2018 at 07:18 AM. Reason: typo
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."