Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

French Kepi Navy?

Article about: Hello everyone, Here is one for the kepi experts. I have added this kepi to my collection and was wondering what it Is, navy? Colonial troops? And when it is from? It seems to have some age

?

Default French Kepi Navy?

Hello everyone,
    Here is one for the kepi experts.
    I have added this kepi to my collection and was wondering what it Is, navy? Colonial troops? And when it is from? It seems to have some age to it. I have heard that some look black but are actually dark blue, but this one definitely looks black in person. There are no markings inside except for a handwritten 56 wich is a size and a 39. Also one side of the back is higher than the front.
    Any thoughts?
    Any Information on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
    Regards,
    Daniel

French Kepi Navy?
    French Kepi Navy?
    French Kepi Navy?
    French Kepi Navy?
    French Kepi Navy?
    French Kepi Navy?

Hello, sea Marine have not képis, Marine infantry ? I ask...
    The best Militaria forum in France is here : http://deutsch-militaria.forumactif.us/

==== lieutenant of the colonial infantry.
    The best Militaria forum in France is here : http://deutsch-militaria.forumactif.us/

?

Don't know much about these but I really like them. I have no idea how to age them.
    The height difference you see on the top will be because the hat is deformed at the back, if that was corrected the top should pop down and be at an even height all round.

Troupes de marine - Wikipedia has some information about the kepis worn and does state the color is often confused with black, but actually very dark blue.

Steve.

?

Hello,
    I would like to thank both of you for taking the time to help me with this kepi, I really appreciate it. I find it very interesting.
    If anyone else has any additional information to add you are welcome to post it here.
    Thanks again

Regards,
    Daniel

?

I found this photo of what I belive to be a ww1 version of this kepi. I am guessing that mine is a 1935 version being the same hight In the back as in the front.
    The version pictured seems is an earlier one however the colour and insignia resembles my example. Just thought I'd post it here.
    French Kepi Navy?
    French Kepi Navy?
    Regards,
    Daniel

?

It can be hard to try dating these M35 & later kepis, but I will guess it's post WWII and, as stated previously, for a lieutenant ( 2 rows of bullion ) in the Marine Infantry.
    With the exception of the light blue bodies of the light cavalry & old Armee D'Afrique, French officer kepis were black, despite the regulations stating dark blue, which color is used for enlisted ranks kepis.
    I have a kepi for a sergent chef of the Foreign Legion, which has a very dark blue, but not black kepi body.

BobS