Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

French Lt Col Kepi

Article about: I have hardly any French items in my collection but have been looking to add a nice Adrian and Kepi for quite some time. Was fortunately enough to pick this one up from a fellow forum member

MAP
    ?

Default French Lt Col Kepi

I have hardly any French items in my collection but have been looking to add a nice Adrian and Kepi for quite some time.

Was fortunately enough to pick this one up from a fellow forum member at the Max show a few weeks back.

This example is for a Lt. Col in the 75th Light Cavalry Artillery Regiment attached to the 1st Division Légère de Cavalerie (DLC)and is suspected of belonging to a Lt Colonel Emond.

The cap is in near mint condition. Has the 75th bullion insignia and the artillery crossed cannon chin strap buttons. No size markings but it is quite large.

The 1st DLC fought at the very beginning of the war during the Battle of France in May 1940. In late 1939, the 1st DLC was placed in a defensive position along the Meuse. Then in May 1940, the 1st and 4th DLC were sent across the border into the Ardennes in Belgium to try and stall the German advance. All the DLC's were disbanded during the occupation of France in 1940.

History

Division Légère de Cavalerie, France, 10 May 1940

French Lt Col Kepi

French Lt Col Kepi

French Lt Col Kepi

French Lt Col Kepi

French Lt Col Kepi

French Lt Col Kepi

"Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Great cap and research! I've found it hard to find any French items here except for medals, even at the MAX show there wasn't a lot.

MAP
    ?

Quote by Politefaun View Post
    Great cap and research! I've found it hard to find any French items here except for medals, even at the MAX show there wasn't a lot.
    Thanks. Pretty much all of the research was done by Fred.

Agree. Finding French items here in the US is not easy so was lucky to find this at the Max.

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Hello MAP

Nice képi from the 1931 regulations (french collectors call them "képi 31" ) , with an uncommon liner (commonnly black or green)
    Did the kepi have a marker label ?

Louis.

MAP
    ?

Quote by Loulounug View Post
    Hello MAP

Nice képi from the 1931 regulations (french collectors call them "képi 31" ) , with an uncommon liner (commonnly black or green)
    Did the kepi have a marker label ?

Louis.
    Thanks Louis for the extra information. I know very little about French items.

Unfortunately, there is no maker label. Nor any evidence that there ever was one. I looked under the leather sweatband as well and there are no marks either. I will also add that it is quite a large size Kepi. Way too large for my head.

Quote by MAP View Post
    Thanks Louis for the extra information. I know very little about French items.

Unfortunately, there is no maker label. Nor any evidence that there ever was one. I looked under the leather sweatband as well and there are no marks either. I will also add that it is quite a large size Kepi. Way too large for my head.

No problem !

French officers kepis are really interesting

Before the 1914-1918 War (and on early war) you got the "Foulard" képi, with a distinctive "silhouette" (not sure about the right term)
    Here is a example of my collection for a general officer, you can see the fashion :
    French Lt Col Kepi

During the 1916 (again, like uniforms, by fashion) and then after the war (1919 regulations) you will have the "Polo" kepi with a more classical silhouette, that would lead to the 1931 regulations

French Lt Col Kepi

Here (Kepi ww1 ou ww2 ?) is an example from a well know french collector forum (the one that give me those documents)

Edit : Thanks to have look about the marker, and large size kepis are always nice !

MAP
    ?

Excellent information and thanks for the lesson.

You have two nice examples.