Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Gordon Highlanders Officers TOS (Tam O'Shanter) bonnet with Silver cap badge

Article about: This is a recent acquisition which is in extremely good condition. It is an officers pattern (therefore private purchase) TO bonnet to the Gordon Highlanders. The cap badge is sterling silve

Default Gordon Highlanders Officers TOS (Tam O'Shanter) bonnet with Silver cap badge

This is a recent acquisition which is in extremely good condition.

It is an officers pattern (therefore private purchase) TOS bonnet to the Gordon Highlanders.

The cap badge is sterling silver hallmarked for Birmingham 1943 and the maker JR Gaunt & Sons.

The badge is of the "Staff" pattern worn by SNCO and Warrant officers but the fact that the badge is hallmarked silver rather than unmarked silver or a nickel alloy (therefore much more expensive) and that the bonnet came from the estate of a commissioned officer suggest that this was probably the property of a WO1 most likely Regimental Sergeant Major (RSM) who was subsequently commissioned as an Officer. I am still in the "take the item not the story" camp but this seems to explain this combination.

The bonnet is in remarkable condition which makes me think it is not as old as the badge but is does have good age and the badge (only one ever fitted) has a backing piece of yellowed and roughly cut rigid celluloid which is an indicator of age in itself. That is to say; when did you last see a piece of celluloid at all let alone one yellowed with age like this?

Overall it is a very nice piece and I am delighted to have it.

As usual all comment and opinion is welcome.

Regards

Mark
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Gordon Highlanders Officers TOS (Tam O'Shanter) bonnet with Silver cap badge   Gordon Highlanders Officers TOS (Tam O'Shanter) bonnet with Silver cap badge  

Gordon Highlanders Officers TOS (Tam O'Shanter) bonnet with Silver cap badge   Gordon Highlanders Officers TOS (Tam O'Shanter) bonnet with Silver cap badge  

Gordon Highlanders Officers TOS (Tam O'Shanter) bonnet with Silver cap badge   Gordon Highlanders Officers TOS (Tam O'Shanter) bonnet with Silver cap badge  

Last edited by Watchdog; 04-24-2022 at 12:42 PM. Reason: typo
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

?

Mark,

A beautiful example of a commissioned or warrant officer TOS. The badge having crossed antlers and hallmarked is an incredible find by itself! Without a tailor's label or other marks, as you said it is difficult to date the TOS itself. I have seen the circular pattern to the interior for WWII-era officer TOS, but there is usually a tailor tag sewed into the center. However, even if it is of later manufacture, it is possible the badge itself was passed down. I love the 3D design of the Gordon and Highlander badges.

I do not know how you continue to find such great headgear! Clearly, I am not looking hard enough. Keep sharing your headgear. It keeps me motivated to keep searching.

Thanks Reid, I have considered that the badge might have passed down as an "heirloom" or continued in use as a simple hand-me-down which is not unusual in the British Army when colleagues receive or purchase such items from predecessors. The main reason being that even though the TOS has age for sure I just can't see it being that old but it might have been a "best wear" item so who can say as the construction has endured for decades.

Based on the opinions of subject matter experts I think the main suspect for maker is Anderson of Edinburgh.
    As I learn more I will of course update here.

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

?

Mark, based on the circular pattern of stitching, I think you have an inter-war WM Anderson & Sons-made TOS. I base this on two things. One, I have seen the same pattern with an Anderson label that reads “By Appointment to the Late King George V.” Second, TOS made by Anderson with “By Appointment to King George VI” have a diamond pattern stitching. One thought for the change was to save time and money during the war by simplifying stitching. An alternative is that Anderson began the war still using the much more complex circular stitching and later transitioned to the diamond pattern. Either way, the TOS is likely to have been worn during the War.

?

a stunning tos with a glorious badge.

I recently picked up a gaunt hm'd for 1942 in Birmingham for the swb's.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Gordon Highlanders Officers TOS (Tam O'Shanter) bonnet with Silver cap badge   Gordon Highlanders Officers TOS (Tam O'Shanter) bonnet with Silver cap badge  

Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Lovely SWB cap badge. Interesting to see the fitting of copper lugs. PY.

A lovely Gordon Highlanders SNCO/Officer grade badge and TOS. Collecting Scottish headdress badges is quite addictive. They’re beautifully made and have that presence few others have in my opinion. PY.

Quote by PembrokeYeo View Post
    Lovely SWB cap badge. Interesting to see the fitting of copper lugs. PY.
    it is unusual, but I have seen it before, maybe saves a few bob.

I put all of my silver/plated swb badges in my welsh cap badges thread. Welch cap badges
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Quote by Reid10 View Post
    Hi Reid,

Just re-reading the thread and it occurs to me that the Cameronians (SR) TOS you show possibly tells more than is immediately obvious. That is because of the fact that it has a GVIR label in the hat itself but what looks to me like an aluminium Stabrite cap badge.

The Cameronians Stabrite badge was introduced in the mid '60s (during the EIIR reign) but by that time the regiment was part of The Lowland Brigade and wearing the "Thistle and Saltire" cap badge of the brigade. The brigade system was dead and buried by 1970 but the Cameronians were disbanded in 1968 so a reversion to the original cap badge seems unlikely except that two companies of the 52nd Lowland Volunteers (TAVR) were badged as Cameronians and by that time would have worn the Stabrite badge. One company was disbanded in 1992 and the other re-badged as Kings Own Scottish Borderers (KOSB) in 1997 (I'm not sure of the status of that company now as KOSB along with The Royal Scots ultimately became 1st Bn The Ranger Regt a year or so back).

Therefore, this TOS seems to cover a very long timeframe for a cloth item!

For me this illustrates just how diverse the history of these pieces can be. I hope this is of interest.

Regards

Mark

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast