Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

Green Berret.

Article about: Hello, i have this green berret i found in a pocket of a bergen bag i bought. FYI it is darker green than the pictures and the badge is worn on the globe. Can you tell me more about it ? Tha

?

Default Green Berret.

Hello,

i have this green berret i found in a pocket of a bergen bag i bought.
    FYI it is darker green than the pictures and the badge is worn on the globe.
    Can you tell me more about it ?
    Thank you.
    Cordially

Green Berret.
    Green Berret.
    Green Berret.
    Green Berret.
    Green Berret.
    Green Berret.
    Green Berret.

Not sure but I know this company did not make para berets until after WWII, and I think that applies to all berets
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Quote by Jerry B View Post
    Not sure but I know this company did not make para berets until after WWII, and I think that applies to all berets
    Also, it looks like the badge is not a cap badge but a collar badge. The Royal Marines cap badge for officers has the crown and lion as a separate piece but I can't see a hole where it should be. The collar badge is similar size but has no crown and lion.

In these pics it is hard to tell whether the badge is brass or bronze which makes a difference and the fixing at the back of the badge is not shown which can be useful too.

Overall, I would not be too excited about this item.

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

?

Hello and thank you for your messages.

I put 3 photos for the badge and as it is a bag that comes from Holland, maybe it was a Dutch volunteer who had managed to reach England.
    which explains why there is no royal crown.
    The badge appears to be brass with copper lugs.

Cordially

Green Berret.
    Green Berret.
    Green Berret.

Quote by FABIE View Post
    maybe it was a Dutch volunteer who had managed to reach England.
    which explains why there is no royal crown.
    I'm afraid that is not at all likely.

Dutch personnel in exile wore the ""Nederland" cap badge.

Green Berret.

From the extra pics the badge appears to be brass rather than bronze so not an officers badge which means it is almost certainly a collar badge (there are other two piece badges but I don't believe this is one).

Also, I am not as well versed in the wartime / early post-war features of berets as Jerry but I agree with him that this is likely a post-war beret so the soldier in exile theory isn't relevant anyway.

If you put a correct other ranks cap badge on it the beret is a decent collectible.

I hope this helps.

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

but it is a post war beret, you seem to be desperate to make it fit the story you want from it, but as I posted above this maker did not make any wartime berets
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Quote by Jerry B View Post
    but it is a post war beret, you seem to be desperate to make it fit the story you want from it, but as I posted above this maker did not make any wartime berets
    Hi Jerry, yep that's kind of the point I was making. It is what it is and what it is isn't a WWII Dutch commando

Best

Mark

?

Thank you,
    No Jerry I am not surprised and not disappointed by your comments.
    But anyway, a green berret is always pleasant even after ww2 and as I live in Nîmes in France where there are a lot of green berrets (foreign legion), I'm interested to know.
    Cordially.