Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

Help on WW2 Commando beret (is it?)

Article about: Hi all, I need some help regarding a beret I have recently bought to establish just what its history is along with its regimental badging. The beret is in a mid to dark green colour and supp

Default Help on WW2 Commando beret (is it?)

Hi all, I need some help regarding a beret I have recently bought to establish just what its history is along with its regimental badging.

The beret is in a mid to dark green colour and supposedly from ww2.

It has mounted the Oxford & Buckinghamshire light infantry regimental beret badge (the correct smaller beret sized one) but it is the WW1 pattern design? (May be also made of Silver?)

I would say 99% that this regimental beret badge is original to the beret as the imprint shadow and marking left on the beret is that of the badge.

There is a name in the beret: K.C.R.Brown on a sewn in small tab.

I have tried to establish if the Oxford & Buckinghamshire light infantry did have a Green Beret as part of their uniform and it looks like they did ‘not’ and the Green Beret was only given to the WW2 Commandos – so why has this beret got the WW1 Oxford & Buckinghamshire light infantry regimental beret badge?

Some questions to ask:

Firstly, is the beret a WW2 commando issue?

Secondly, is the Oxford & Buckinghamshire light infantry beret badge WW1 design? (Pretty sure it is)

Then could this scenario 'below' be plausible? – This is speculation.

Soldier ‘Brown’ was in the Oxford & Buckinghamshire light infantry circa late 1930’s early 40’s and acquired an Oxford & Buckinghamshire light infantry regimental badge, at that stage the badges that were being made and issued were still adopting the WW1 design.

Early 1940’s he joined the newly formed Commandos. At this early inception of the commandos the men could still retain their own regimental cap/beret badges and in 1942 they were issued with the Commando Green Berets which he then attached the small Oxford & Buckinghamshire light infantry beret badge that he had from earlier.

Is that the possible story of this beret?

Your thoughts and any info would be appreciated.

Help on WW2 Commando beret (is it?)Help on WW2 Commando beret (is it?)Help on WW2 Commando beret (is it?)Help on WW2 Commando beret (is it?)Help on WW2 Commando beret (is it?)

certainly not wartime commando issue, perhaps private purchase but...
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

DJT
    ?

Agree with Jerry. Not a WW2 commando beret.

Regards,

Des