Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

HMS ILLUSTRIOUS Sailor Cap

Article about: Guys Been offered this, is this wartime issue or post war ? All input much appreciated !

Default HMS ILLUSTRIOUS Sailor Cap

Guys
    Been offered this, is this wartime issue or post war ?

All input much appreciated !

Royal Navy caps were all blue until 1954, with a white removable cover. That would appear to be a post 1954 version and a full stop after the ship's name is another clue. After 1956 there was no full stop.

Can we have the photos back?

Yes please .... return the photos back to this thread so it wont be further useless without them.

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Here we go
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture HMS ILLUSTRIOUS Sailor Cap   HMS ILLUSTRIOUS Sailor Cap  

Quote by Anderson View Post
    Royal Navy caps were all blue until 1954, with a white removable cover. That would appear to be a post 1954 version and a full stop after the ship's name is another clue. After 1956 there was no full stop.
    Totally agree. Early '50s so post war obviously but massively better quality then the current ones. The one my son wears is a horrible plastic thing which is great fuel to the "Pongo versus Jack Tar" piss-taking

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Thanks for re-posting the photos,
    I'll add a few of my own, my grandfather (seated left) while ashore in New Zealand in 1924. Anyone able to identify his ship?

Quote by Anderson View Post
    Thanks for re-posting the photos,
    I'll add a few of my own, my grandfather (seated left) while ashore in New Zealand in 1924. Anyone able to identify his ship?

Really quick reply before going to work (it's 0550 hrs here!).

I believe this is HMS Hood (of "sink the Bismark" fame) during her voyage to Australia in 1924.

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Yep on the "World Cruise" of the British Special Service Squadron, 1923/24. Or as my grandad use to say with a grin, the "world Booze".

?

Here is my Australian Sailors Cap.
    They dumped putting the ships name on them in case they got sunk and gave away their positions if found floating , so they changed everything to H.M.A.S. only
    Cheers Rick

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast