Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

Please Help Identify

Article about: I am doing a presentation for a class in which I give as much background information as possible about a certain object. I inherited my great-grandfather's cap from world war two, and would

pjyoung93
    ?

Default Please Help Identify

I am doing a presentation for a class in which I give as much background information as possible about a certain object. I inherited my great-grandfather's cap from world war two, and would love to present it as my item, but know NOTHING about it. It looks a lot like the one pictured, but a darker khaki shade and without ventilation holes. I would LOVE any historical information, such as where and by whom Please Help Identifyhats such as these were manufactured, how they were distributed to the men, what rank they signify, anything and everything that any of you may know. Any links, email addresses of experts, or forum links would also be appreciated. Thank you very much!

Default Re: Please Help Identify

Hi, and welcome to the forum!

The cap shown is a United States Army Officers summer weight cap. Worn by all branches of the Army and USAAF. The cap you have will be the winter version in "chocolate". This is a dark khaki green shade.

Army & Air Force Officers had to buy their own caps, so they come from a wide range of different makers throughout the USA and even from overseas.

Enlisted men (Private soldiers and NCO's) wore similar visor cap, the basic difference being the winter version was Olive Drab khaki, with the same coloured cap band. The cap badge, which was a smaller in size, was an eagle mounted on a backing disc.

Hope this helps?

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Of course, Ade is correct. Do you know if he was in the Army or the Air Force ?

Caps in this configuration were in service until sometime in the 1950's
    when colours and materials changed. The US Army Air Force became
    the United States Air Force in 1947, and the colour of their uniform
    changed to blue, but many remote bases around the world did not
    recieve the new items of uniform until well into the Korean War.

You can google 'USAAF officers cap photo' and get
    some good shots of them.........
    Regards,

Steve.

pjyoung93
    ?

Thank you for your comments! He was in the Army Air Corps. Here is a better, photo, it looks almost exactly like this:

Please Help Identify

Thanks for all your help!