Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast

Post-WWII Scottish Unit Headgear (UK and Commonwealth)

Article about: I have been collecting post-WWII headgear from Scottish units since I attended Aberdeen University as an exchange student in the late 1990s. Since then I have been able to build up a pretty

?

I noticed something interesting today when I was repacking a few of my glengarries. My glengarry for the Royal Regiment of Scotland has a lot more "padding" behind the rosette than my other glengarries, even the more recent ones for units amalgamated in 2006.

I wonder if it is a coincidence that the lugs for the SCOTS cap badge are longer than for most (if not all) other Scottish cap badges. Or this is a result of a change in manufacturing?

?

Default A Squadron (University of St. Andrews), Tayforth Universities Officers' Training Corps Tam O’Shanter

Since beginning the thread my knowledge of Scottish military headgear has grown from talking to other collectors, reading and researching unit histories, uniform regulations, and any other related information I could find. I have discovered some of my previous posts were not entirely accurate, or need to be updated. For instance, I am much better at identifying when a TOS was worn by the cap badge, badge backing, size, shape, materials, manufacturer, and NATO Stock Number/National Item Identification Number. I have a lot more to learn and will continue to post what I discover on this thread. Hopefully it will be of interest, and value, to other collectors and military historians. I want to thank the other contributors to the thread for their help, knowledge, and postings to ensure the thread is varied, informative and accurate.

Cheers,

Reid

Quote by Reid10 View Post
    I noticed something interesting today when I was repacking a few of my glengarries. My glengarry for the Royal Regiment of Scotland has a lot more "padding" behind the rosette than my other glengarries, even the more recent ones for units amalgamated in 2006.

I wonder if it is a coincidence that the lugs for the SCOTS cap badge are longer than for most (if not all) other Scottish cap badges. Or this is a result of a change in manufacturing?

That is interesting Reid and although I don't actually know the answer I think that your theory of the new RRS badge coinciding with the change in glengarry manufacture is a good one.

I doubt that this is something that would have needed to go before the Army Dress Committee and would need to be researched at contract level as the construction of the cap is not a matter of changing the actual uniform.

I should think that the longer lugs of the new badge are a physical demand of the structural integrity of the badge design and that the requirement to modify the construction of the cap accordingly coincided with a new contract following the need to increase the supply of the current regimental pattern now that the plain blue and the two colour red/white dice types are no longer required (albeit non- RRS pipers still wear the plain blue).

It, just a thought but it makes sense in my head!

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

?

Mark,

If the change was done to account for the weight of the SCOTS cap badge, then they did not take into account all of the OTC and CCF units that still exist and use the glengarry! I doubt those units will be getting new badges with longer lugs. I have already seen how this is a problem. I received a glengarry for a Scottish OTC not too long ago with a manufacturer label marked "2019". The owner must have struggled to get the badge on because the cotter pin was bent and it looked like they had to dig a hole in the material (hessian?) to be able to find the lug and insert the pin. I will have to take a picture, because it is hard to explain just how much work it must have taken to get the badge on!

One great thing about the OTC and CCF units is that some still wear the badges of units they were affiliated with that disbanded or were amalgamated years ago. For instance, I have a rifle green glengarry worn by the pipers of the Glenalmond College CCF. The CCF's badge was originally worn by the 4th (Perthshire) Volunteer Battalion, The Black Watch (Royal Highlanders) from 1882-1908. I still need to put the glengarry into my normal format and post it, but until then, here is a picture of it being worn. Note that the unit pipers wear rifle green AND blue glengarries, some with black toories and some with red!

?

Default 5 (Gibraltar 1779-1783) Field Battery, 19 (Highland Gunners) Regiment Royal Artillery Service Dress Cap

?

Default Liverpool College Combined Cadet Force Glengarry

I defer to the Liverpool Scottish Museum curator for the identification of this glengarry. According to him, the LS Regiment refused to wear the anodized version of the badge when it was sealed in 1965. It does appear to have been worn by the Liverpool College CCF, as shown in the picture above.

Dating glengarries can be difficult and this is no exception. The checkered band is blended into the glengarry as opposed to being a separate piece, which you see on more current issued glengarries (1990s-Present). The markings are similar in placement to glens I have from the 1960s, but the inspection marks for these are usually within a rectangle. I have a glengarry from the 1980s that has a similar inspection mark and broad arrow. With the broad arrow being phased out in the 1980s, I place this glengarry from 1965 when the badge was sealed to the 1980s when issued glengarry markings changed. This is not fool-proof, since I also have a Gordon Highlanders glen with a sticker label that has the NSN and a broad arrow, which I need to research to determine the age.

I welcome anyone with more expertise on this subject. I have a good understanding of how to date glens, but am always learning.

?

The Liverpool Scottish Museum website lists the Liverpool Scottish Detachment, Merseyside Army Cadet Force as also wearing the LS cap badge until it was, "...rebadged, retitled, and reaffiliated entirely to the Duke of Lancaster's Regiment." Liverpool Scottish Museum Archive - Liverpool Scottish Units A picture I found of a Merseyside Cadet in 2008 shows him wearing a glengarry with the Duke of Lancaster cap badge, which supports that the cadets stopped wearing the LS cap badge at the same time the LS Rifle Platoon adopted the cap badge of the Duke of Lancaster's Regiment in 2006.

On the same page is stated when the Liverpool Scottish Rifle Platoon was disbanded (30 April 2014), with the soldiers being re-affiliated to the Duke of Lancaster's Regiment with all of its traditions. The result was the removing of the The Liverpool Scottish from the British Army’s Order of Battle after 114 Years of service to the Crown and the ending of the wearing of the Forbes tartan (within the British Army).

I was recently able to acquire a TOS for the LS from the 1990s, when V (The Liverpool Scottish) Company, 5th/8th. (Volunteer) Battalion, The King's Regiment returned to wearing the cap badge for 10th (Scottish) Battalion of the King's (Liverpool) Regiment. This badge was first introduced in 1908 until replaced by the Liverpool Scottish version of the Cameron badge in 1937. I will post more information and pictures for the TOS in a few weeks.
    Last edited by Reid10; 12-04-2021 at 02:11 PM.

?

Something of interest (at least to me) is that Decision No 4135 of the 332nd meeting the Army Dress Committee on 19 March 2007 was that ACF/CCF/UOTC/QVS will adopt Royal Regiment of Scotland Dress items on a “waste out” basis. Obsolete dress items are to be removed from the inventory as they waste out. (Item 6, SCOTS Dress Items ACF/CCF/ UOTC/QVS)

This decision was amended at the 333rd meeting of the ADC on 23 July 2007: “Scottish UOTCs (Aberdeen, City of Edinburgh, Glasgow and Strathclyde, Tayforth) were to continue to receive those items specific to them such as cap badge and other individual items. Similarly, Queen Victoria School, Dunblane, were to continue with their individual badges.” (Item 8. Scottish UOTC Cap Badges)

Earlier, at the 330th meeting of the ADC on 20 July 2006, the Cadets LAND had requested a change of headdress for SCOTS CCF from Glengarry to Tam O’Shanter (£28 for the former and £7 for the latter), which was seen as a good cost saving measure and approved by the committee. However, this would have not have applied when wearing No. 1 (not sure if Cadets wear No. 1) or No. 2 Dress. Perhaps the units have to purchase their glengarries.

What was also interesting to me was how much an issued TOS actually cost considering what we collectors sometimes pay for them! It does explain the quality of material and construction (cheap black cotton lining and poorly constructed bow on the back). Of course I collect for the history, not for the construction, though I do love the tailored TOS.

?

Default Glenalmond College Combined Cadet Force Piper’s Glengarry

The CCF has also retained the cap badge on their TOS.

?

Default King’s Own Scottish Borderers Regiment Tam O’Shanter

Pictures of this style of TOS being worn by the KOSB in Northern Ireland from the KOSB Regimental Museum site. (Left - N Ireland 1979 3 Pl (Att D Coy) - Ballymurphy / Right - Unknown KOSB soldiers on patrol)

Post-WWII Scottish Unit Headgear (UK and Commonwealth) Post-WWII Scottish Unit Headgear (UK and Commonwealth)

The change in size of the crown is very noticeable in this picture of the KOSB in Iraq in 2003. The smaller crown TOS was introduced in 1998.

Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast