Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 14 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast

Post-WWII Scottish Unit Headgear (UK and Commonwealth)

Article about: I have been collecting post-WWII headgear from Scottish units since I attended Aberdeen University as an exchange student in the late 1990s. Since then I have been able to build up a pretty

Great pics Reid,

Just for added interest the left hand picture gives a very good illustration of the difference between the officers' TOS (in the centre) and the pattern worn by the "Jocks" (slang term for the enlisted men - equivalent to "Toms" etc in English regiments). The right hand picture showing Jocks in open country can be dated to no later than 1991 as they are armed with the Rifle 7.62mm L1A1 with SUIT (Sight Unit Infantry Trilux) which officially went out of service that year. They seem to be wearing '58 Pattern webbing but that does not help as the replacement PLCE was '95 patt so was introduced after the SA80 rifle was introduced. They appear dressed for cold weather so probably Oct - Feb and I would suggest from the terrain this is Northern Ireland most likely Co. Fermanagh.

The colour picture I would suggest dates to 1st August 2003 as the red rose in the TOS (it is not a hackle which some might take it for) is worn by the "Minden regiments" (those whose antecedent regiments participated in the battle of Minden in 1759 on "Minden Day". On Minden Day 2003 KOSB were in Iraq on Operation Telic 2.

The first two pics in particular which show context, remind me of my own time in NI '77 - '80.

Regards

Mark
    Last edited by Watchdog; 12-05-2021 at 03:40 PM.
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

?

Thank you for your comments as always, Mark!

I had no idea what the significance of the rose in the TOS was and how it could be used to date the picture. This is great information, as are the dates of use for the L1A1, for my kit bag!

I believe the pictures are from the late 1970s, so around the time you were in NI also. I will have to go back into my notes to find exactly where I found the pictures. I believe they are from the KOSB association website, which will be annotated in my files.

?

Default 105 Regiment Royal Artillery (The Scottish and Ulster Gunners) Officer Tam O'Shanter

On 01 April 1967, the 102 (Ulster and Scottish) Light Air Defence Regiment Royal Artillery (Volunteers) was formed with batteries in Ulster and Scotland. On 1 April 1986 the Scottish-based batteries were withdrawn to form 105 (Scottish) Air Defence Regiment Royal Artillery and the “Scottish” was dropped from 102 RRA. 01 April 1993, the 102 RRA disbanded as result of Options for Change and merged into 105 Air Defence Regiment. The regiment was renamed 105 Regiment (the Scottish and Ulster Gunners) Royal Artillery (V) and equipped with the L118 105mm Light Gun.

Below are pictures of the Other Ranks TOS.

Post-WWII Scottish Unit Headgear (UK and Commonwealth) Post-WWII Scottish Unit Headgear (UK and Commonwealth) Post-WWII Scottish Unit Headgear (UK and Commonwealth) Post-WWII Scottish Unit Headgear (UK and Commonwealth)

?

Default Other Ranks Gordon Highlanders Regiment Tam O’Shanter for Member of Adjutant General’s Corps

Finding the correct badge for this TOS was at first a challenge. However, with help from the British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum community and the writing on the liner, it was identified as a TOS belonging to a member of the Adjutant General's Corps attached to the Regiment.

Since the AGC was only created in 1992 and the Gordon Highlanders amalgamated with The Highlanders in 1994, this TOS must have seen a lot of use to fade that much in two years. It is possible the owner had the TOS displayed in the sun. At some point due to lug holes in the badge backing, it appears someone added another badge.

I could not find any pictures of a AGC member wearing this TOS, but below is a member of the AGC assigned to the SCOTS Regiment provided by a member of the BCMBF.

?

Default Highland Light Infantry (City of Glasgow Regiment) Other Ranks Tam O’Shanter

Quote by Reid10 View Post

Finding the correct badge for this TOS was at first a challenge. However, with help from the British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum community and the writing on the liner, it was identified as a TOS belonging to a member of the Adjutant General's Corps attached to the Regiment.

Since the AGC was only created in 1992 and the Gordon Highlanders amalgamated with The Highlanders in 1994, this TOS must have seen a lot of use to fade that much in two years. It is possible the owner had the TOS displayed in the sun. At some point due to lug holes in the badge backing, it appears someone added another badge.
    Hi Reid,

It has long been British Army practice, not just in Scottish regiments, for personnel from other corps etc permanently on the posted strength of a regiment with distinctive headdress to wear that units headdress with their parent cap badge. This is done for the sake of uniformity but also as many "attached personnel" fail to appreciate, as a way to promote unit cohesion and esprit de corps thus creating the even less obvious bonus of a sense of acceptance and inclusion.

It is also done sometimes for reasons of security and I myself have worn a glengarry and TOS with my own cap badge on temporary liaison duties with Scottish regiments during operations when it was desirable to avoid drawing undue attention to the one guy in a patrol wearing a different hat when helmets were not worn (snipers seem to like that )

I agree that the AGC cap badge is the most likely in this case based on position of the holes so it was likely a pay or staff clerk that wor it.

Just a small point of accuracy on the "Highlanders" if I may?
    Rather than the Gordon Highlanders amalgamating WITH the Highlanders they amalgamated INTO The Highlanders together with The Queens Own Highlanders (Seaforths and Camerons) thus forming the new regiment The Highlanders (Seaforths, Gordons and Camerons). I know you appreciate that so I only mention it for the benefit of readers not as well versed in the subject

Regards

Mark

PS I would suggest that the extra holes seem to be correct for a Gordons badge which also makes sense.
    Last edited by Watchdog; 01-30-2022 at 09:34 PM. Reason: ps
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Quote by Reid10 View Post
    A very nice clean example possibly harder to find these days than a wartime one!

?

Excellent point, Mark! I am in the process of updating all of the pictures of my collection I have posted for accuracy. I am always learning.

Please continue to add anything and everything you can think of to make this thread better and of course, accurate.

?

Quote by Watchdog View Post
    A very nice clean example possibly harder to find these days than a wartime one!
    I was very lucky to find this TOS, Mark. I have a friend in London who is always on the lookout for the headgear on my list. I do not know if you remember, but in an earlier post I was lamenting not bidding on a RSDG Drum Corps Athol bonnet. My friend was able to find one and it is in the post! The "Record of Out of Committee Decisions of the 360th Meeting of the Army Dress Committee - February 2020" contained a section on the dress regulations of the Pipes and Drums of the RSDG. It will be very helpful when I create the entry for the bonnet!

?

Default Dress Regulations of the Pipes and Drums of the Royal Scots Dragoon Guards

Pipers

Full Dress: Feather Bonnet, belts, dirk, doublet, plaid kilt, hair sporran, spats, hosetops, sgian-dubh, brogues.

No. 1 Dress: As above, with Glengarry and small white hackle instead of a Feather Bonnet.

No. 2 Dress: Kilt or trews with No. 2 jacket. If kilt is worn, a leather sporran and lovat hose will also be worn.

Duty Piper: Before guard mounting – kilt, leather sporran, heavy wool jersey, lovat hose. From guard mounting – No. 2 Dress trews. A small hackle is worn at all times when Duty Piper.

Review Order: (Used on semi-important occasions). Kilt, spats and hair sporran with No. 2 jacket, small white hackle, belts, dirk and Glengarry.
    Trews may also be worn with spats and No. 2 Dress jacket for certain
    occasions e.g. nonplaying parade.

Working Dress: Barrack dress trousers or trews, Glengarry and heavy wool jersey.

Officers’ Mess Functions:

a. Guest Night (Mess Dress)
    (i) Attendance. Pipe Major and 2 x Pipers
    (ii) Dress. Full Dress with Banners

b. Blues Night
    (i) Attendance. 3 x Pipers (Piper Major not required)
    (ii) Dress. No. 1 Dress. No Banners.

c. Black Tie Night
    (i) Attendance. 1 x Piper
    (ii) Dress. No. 1 Dress. No Banner

NOTE: Pipe ribbons are worn on parades. Capes in inclement weather.

Drummers

Full Dress: Bearskin, plume, scarlet jacket, belts, overalls, boots and spurs.

No. 1 Dress: Atholl bonnet, small white hackle, doublet, shoulder chains, dress cords, belts, trews, spats, brogues.

No. 2 Dress: No. 2 jacket, trews, Atholl bonnet, small white hackle if on duty.

Review Order: No. 2 Jacket, small white hackle, spats, trews, Atholl bonnet, white belts.

Working Dress: Barrack dress trousers or trews, Atholl bonnet, heavy wool jersey.

NOTE: Drag ropes are worn on important parades on the side of the tenor drums. The Bass drummer wears a leopard skin in No. 1 and Full Dress.

Dancers

Depending on the occasion and the time available to change, one of two Dresses can be used:

a. Doublet, dancing plaid, dancing shoes, long diced hose or RS hose, no sgian-dubh, kilt, hair sporran, Glengarry and white hackle waist belt only.

b. Mess jacket, white shirt and bow tie, waist belt, Glengarry and small white hackle, hair sporran, kilt, long diced hose or RS hose, dancing shoes, no sgian-dubh.

Source: Ministry of Defense PS12 - Ceremonial Policy and Plans. Record of Out of Committee Decisions of the 360th Meeting of the Army Dress Committee - Februarty 2020

Page 14 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast