Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 8 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 LastLast

Post-WWII Scottish Unit Headgear (UK and Commonwealth)

Article about: I have been collecting post-WWII headgear from Scottish units since I attended Aberdeen University as an exchange student in the late 1990s. Since then I have been able to build up a pretty

?

This is a great thread and a very nice collection! Here is my small contribution, The Lorne Scots Tam O' Shanter.

Regards, Al

?

Quote by Aldo View Post
    This is a great thread and a very nice collection! Here is my small contribution, The Lorne Scots Tam O' Shanter.

Al - Thank you for your post and adding to this thread! I have two examples of Canadian Scottish Regiment headgear I have not posted yet. You have inspired me to get back to posting headgear!

-Reid

?

Default 21 Highland Light Infantry of Canada Army Cadet Corps Balmoral

This balmoral is a bit battered, but I think it tells a story. From the condition, my assumption (which comes from not knowing) is that balmoral was war surplus given to the Cadets. One detail I find interesting is the smaller size of the tartan badge backing. Other than the 225 (Scottish) Medical Regiment, I have not seen a backing this small. One assumption (again from not knowing) is that it looked better with the smaller cap badge!

?

Default Scottish Yeomanry Regiment or Affiliated Army Cadet Force Beret

From my research, these ACF units at one time wore the cap badge and grey beret of the Scottish Yeomanry Regiment.

• The Scottish Yeomanry Detachment, C Squadron Angus and Dundee Battalion ACF (Now Affiliated with the RSDG)
    • The Cupar Detachment, Burma Company The Black Watch Battalion ACF (Now Affiliated with the RSDG)
    • The Belmont Detachment, D Company and the Girvan Detachment, E Company The West Lowland Battalion (Now Affiliated with the Scottish and Northern Irish Yeomanry)

?

Default 32 Signal Regiment Officer Glengarry

I was recently able to acquire a 32 Signals Regiment Officer Glengarry from a friend in Glasgow. I have several examples of headgear for the Regiment, but there are a few others I would like to find to complete my collection. I am still missing the officer Tam O'Shanter and beret. Also, the officers of 40 (North Irish Horse) Signal Squadron, headquartered in Belfast, wear a blue caubeen. In 2006, the pipers of the Regiment became part of the Royal Signal Corps Pipe and Drums. The badge they wear is similar to that of the Regiment's officers, minus the saltire. However, I have seen pictures of pipers wearing the "officer" cap badge of the Regiment. This may be an exception for pipers of a certain rank (such as the Pipe Major) or pipers directly assigned to the Regiment. Requires a bit more research.

For more information on the history of the badges worn by the different units of the Royal Corps of Signals, I highly recommend this site:

www.signalsbadges.co.uk

Royal Signal Corps Pipers

Officer TOS

40 (North Irish Horse) Signal Squadron Officers

Pre-Brass Cap Badge Officer Glengarry

?

Default 32 Signal Regiment Officer and Other Ranks Glengarries

Below are pictures of the two glengarries worn by the regiment. Other ranks up to Staff Sergeant wear a glengarry with a red toorie and those of higher rank and officers wear a glengarry with a blue toorie.

Post-WWII Scottish Unit Headgear (UK and Commonwealth) Post-WWII Scottish Unit Headgear (UK and Commonwealth)

The squadrons in Scotland wear a TOS, while those in Ireland wear a blue beret. Both have a Red Grant tartan badge backing.

Post-WWII Scottish Unit Headgear (UK and Commonwealth) Post-WWII Scottish Unit Headgear (UK and Commonwealth)

?

Quote by Reid10 View Post

This balmoral is a bit battered, but I think it tells a story. From the condition, my assumption (which comes from not knowing) is that balmoral was war surplus given to the Cadets. One detail I find interesting is the smaller size of the tartan badge backing. Other than the 225 (Scottish) Medical Regiment, I have not seen a backing this small. One assumption (again from not knowing) is that it looked better with the smaller cap badge!

?

Default The Royal Scots Dragoon Guards Pipes and Drums - Drummer Atholl Bonnet

It took a long time to finally find this bonnet. Headgear for the RSDG Pipe and Drums (even the glengarry) is not easy to acquire.

?

Default Glasgow and Strathclyde University Officers’ Training Corps Glengarry

?

Default Queen’s Own Cameron Highlanders of Canada Regiment Balmoral

The challenge was trying to find out what the Broad Arrow inspection mark was officially called. I finally found a site that said the "C" Broad Arrow "was used until 1949 when it was officially discontinued as a Canadian government ownership symbol. Service stores were thereafter marked as tested and inspected by the Inspection Services of Canada."

Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 8 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 LastLast