MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

Quick Help with Glider /Paratroop Side cap

Article about: Hello all, I was just offered this side cap and was looking for some opinions on the patch and patch stitching as this is a bit out of my area Any help appreciated. Regards,Geoff

Default Quick Help with Glider /Paratroop Side cap

Hello all, I was just offered this side cap and was looking for some opinions on the patch and patch stitching as this is a bit out of my area
    Any help appreciated.

Regards,Geoff
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Quick Help with Glider /Paratroop Side cap   Quick Help with Glider /Paratroop Side cap  

Hello Geoff,

Garrison cap looks fine, nice enlisted infantryman's example.. The glider patch is also fine, a WW2 era enlisted paraglider patch. Had the patch been on the opposite side of the cap (right side) the glider would have also faced towards the front but would have been the Officer's version. A nice version of the glider/para patch.. The glider in this image shows the "fat underbelly" with the landing skids...One of many known variants of the glider/para cap badge..

This cap as well as insignia could have been worn in either WW2 or the Korean war era...

The stitching is quite nice, something that was not uncommon to see for Soldier's in the Airborne. The extra detailing and stitching indicated great pride in being in the elite Airborne forces. The glider patch is just a tad bit high on the cap, but again an indication that the paratrooper or glider rider sewed this on themselves without the aid of a sewing machine.

Interesting side story about the cap badges sew to the garrison caps.. Paratroopers were known to get into scuffles now and again in local bars and pubs and there have been some reports of paratroopers sewing a US Walking Liberty Half Dollar behind the patch in order to give a little more of a "punch" so to speak.. Not too effective but it would have come as a surprise to some unsuspecting Soldier getting smacked in the face with a garrison cap loaded with an extra weight...

I have several Airborne Ike Jackets with similar stitching on the shoulder patches on the sleeves (Some are from the 11th Airborne Division in WW2 and others are from the 187th Airborne Regimental Combat Team from the Korean War..

I would have no issues adding this fine looking cap to my collection.

Best regards, stay safe

Smitty

Thank you very much Smitty for the fast response, I have never heard about the Half Dollar before! That is really interesting! On first glance I was concerned about the stitching but after looking closer It was quite elaborate compared to traditional stitching I can see your point about it being a sign of pride! A "Custom" Stitching if you will. I appreciate the The info!

All the best!

Geoff

?

This type of stitching is called a blanket stitch (as often seen on raw edged blankets, to inhibit fraying), where each stitch is looped through the preceding one - an exceedingly difficult technique to master, though simple enough in theory.
    It looks like the trooper lost his rhythm a few times! Easily done.