Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

RAF flying helmet ?

Article about: Hi guys, can anybody tell me if this is a ww2 raf flying hat or not im not sure which country its from, cheers dave

?

Default RAF flying helmet ?

Hi guys, can anybody tell me if this is a ww2 raf flying hat or not im not sure which country its from, cheers dave
    Attached Images Attached Images RAF flying helmet ?  RAF flying helmet ?  RAF flying helmet ? 

Default re: RAF flying helmet ?

Hi Dave, it is a RAF "C" type flying helmet.

Cheers, Ade.

?

Default re: RAF flying helmet ?

cheers Ade rgds Dave

Default Re: RAF flying helmet ?

yep its definitely a C type looks like it is a first pattern making it early ww2
    rgds
    Tim

Andy Baillie
    ?

I also have an early Type-C, although (unfortunatley) the rubber earpieces have been cut off, as yours seem to have been removed.

This seems to be because a lot of these were bought up in the 1950/60s as surplus by open-cab lorry drivers and motorcyclists.

My friend's stepdad used to deliver partly made lorries from the factories to get their cabs fitted elsewhere, so he used to wear one to keep warm on the journey! The earpieces were removed out of convenience.

You can get the rubber pieces on the internet (hopefully without paying through the nose)

Nice things to own though, and who knows what service they've seen before being sold off!

laurentbiblio
    ?

HI,
    I'm new on this forum.
    Have the same early Type C Helmet with the same problem.
    Where can I find good rubber earpieces repro to complet it.
    Thnaks
    Laurent

Gents, be aware that the various patterns of C type helmet meant there are 2 different types of earcups. The early patterns used earcups that were stitched externally to the helmet, whereas later patterns had internally fitted ones and they can be a pain to replace.

Steve Silburn does a very good line in repro helmet accoutrements as well as repair work and would be well worth contacting in the first instance. However, I haven't collected RAF kit for years so no longer have his number or details. You could try David Farnsworth at Historic Flying Clothing Company as he has dealt with Steve over the years on many occassions.

I have no connection to either gentlemen but can recommend them both.

The Historic Flying Clothing Company

Update: Steve's details are as below. He sells on eBay as user name izavailable

Sefton Clothing Co
    Stephen Silburn
    9, White Horse Road,
    East Bergholt, Colchester
    Essex
    CO7 6TU
    United Kingdom Phone: 01206 298034
    Email: lucyquipment@aol.com

laurentbiblio
    ?

Thanks for this. It's the most simple because it's an early style.
    Thanks for all

Laurent

Hi gentleman,

I think I have the same one here...with rubber caps,with glasses and with the oxygen mask.I got it from my grandmother who got it from a spitfire pilot who had to make a forced landing close to here home during WWII.This pilot give the helmet to my GM after she took care of his wounds,and cooked diner for him :-)
    I will try to make some pictures in the weekend for you guys to see.

Cheers

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast