Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

RAF Maroon beret?

Article about: As the title says, I want to know, does RAF ever uses Maroon beret? I found someone posted this https://www.etsy.com/listing/6300979...hat-badge-1943 If they do, could you guys upload the pi

"Per Ardua"

Didn't expect this old thread to be bumped haha
    Thanks for all the answer and extra information

Cheers!

This is an interesting thread and I am glad I discovered it today! I am actually the owner of this beret and I bought it in 2010. There was no history available from the seller and I did the best research I could find at the time; I agree that there were elements of the RAF that wore the maroon beret late in WWII but this thread has greater information than I remember finding. I've always kept it tucked away as a prized example of a wartime beret, and have displayed it from time to time with other Commonwealth and US airborne items for my students when teaching.

There is fading and corrosion that suggests the badge has been on there for a very long time, and if memory serves it's held on with a safety pin through the vent holes. The construction is different from other airborne berets as well, with two vents aligning where the badge is to be placed instead of opposite. I looked carefully to see if it could have been re-dyed from RAF blue but it doesn't show any evidence of this. I can certainly get some better photos if anyone is interested. Thank you for bringing this one back up!

Please post up more photos 👍
    "Per Ardua"

Glad that you've found this thread! Surely we'd love to see more photos of this beret

Cheers!

Ok, I have it packed away right now but I found some old photos on the hard drive from the time I purchased it. Here are what I have right now.

RAF Maroon beret?RAF Maroon beret?

More
    RAF Maroon beret?RAF Maroon beret?RAF Maroon beret?RAF Maroon beret?RAF Maroon beret?

Although it is an old discussion, indeed RAF pilots wore the beret of the airborne forces during the Second World War when they were assigned to the Glider Pilot Regiment (GPR). After the disastrous Operation MARKET, it was necessary to replenish the ranks of the glider pilots. Thus, "surplus" RAF pilots were assigned to the GPR for Operation VARSITY, the crossing of the Rhine on 24 March 1945. On the RAF film "Operation Varsity" on YouTube Operation Varsity, 24 March 1945 at Marks Hall Estate - YouTube at minute 5:37 it is explained that RAF pilots reinforced the GPR. At minute 5:41, you clearly see two RAF pilots wearing a with a RAF Field Cap Badge and Denison Smock with RAF pilot brevet. At minute 6:05 there is a Flying Officer (FO) wearing a Pegasus and at 6:16, you see two RAF pilots wearing a beret with a RAF Field Cap Badge and one of the two pilots, a RAF FO wearing an Airborne Divisional insignia sewn on his battle dress blouse. There are also two RAF NCOs wearing a beret. Albeit the film is in black and white, the shade of the berets is the same for everyone: GPR pilots and RAF pilots, so the berets must be the same color... maroon. Now I am sure this was "local arrangement" and not officially approved by the RAF hierarchy.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture RAF Maroon beret?  

?

Le Diable. You are correct exept for the last part. It was in accordance with the RAF hierachy. This also is mentioned by the Commander of the glider pilots Lt-Col Chatterton. Officialy the RAF pilots "volunteered" . Though many were not to happy. And it was agreed with the RAF that the men kept their own (RAF) rank and that they also got roles befitting their rank. RAF officers became 2nd in command of units. Roles were equally divided between army and RAF gliderpilots. This was done to make them feel welcome as possible. RAF pilots also got a (quick) army field training by the army gliderpilots.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3