Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

RCN / British navy visor caps

Article about: Hello ! I have been offered these caps and was wondering how much these cap are worth today on the market ? And if someone can give me an idea of what the design on the visor of one of them

Default Value of RCN / British navy visor caps

Hello !
    I have been offered these caps and was wondering how much these cap are worth today on the market ? And if someone can give me an idea of what the design on the visor of one of them is what for Rank ect .There is one of merchant navy in the lot too
    Thanks
    Frenchy
    Last edited by frenchy; 05-13-2011 at 03:18 AM.

Default Re: RCN / British navy visor caps

Hi Frenchy, sadly my knowledge of RN/RCN items is weak.

But I can tell you this:

Top one is an Officers cap and lacks the chinstrap.

Next one is for the Merchant Navy. (Which you knew)

Senior Officers cap.

Another Officers cap.

Petty Officers cap. (Kind of NCO rank)

They all have wartime pattern insignia. I think prices would start at around £55/£65 here in the UK?

Cheers, Ade.

Thanks very much Ade for the reply ,the seller ask a bit more for them so i just have to shop around and get some price frome different dealer and try to get the price down a bit
    frenchy

?

Hi all,

Yep first one is an Officer upto Lt Commander. The peak looks good, although check if the edging is leather. Also the cap looks too blue (unless that is the photo, and perhaps not felt enough). The badge looks great though.

2nd one looks great. No niggles from me.

3rd one is ranked to Lt Commander but is not WW2 vintage. The peak looks too "long" and large and the edging looks plastic. I think the original badge and band has been added to make it look ww2. Not sure about the chinstrap, it looks plastic but if it leather then it is ok.

4th cap looks like one of those ebay replicas, the badge doesnt quite look right as opposed to the other ones.

5th. Well I havent had any hands on with a PO cap so I will not comment. other than the badge seems to look ok.

Also photos of the insides would help. What was the seller asking?

I have a few RN peak caps on my website you could view for a reference.

Thanks Ocad for your info on the caps ,i will ask him to send me pics of the inside of the first one and second and the fifth cap and ask him the question you mention.
    The price he ask for was 150$ to 175 $. For the Canadian merchant navy one i saw one identical who sold for 60$ at the Guild .
    Frenchy

Here is the inside pics of the number 1 of my pics and the number 5 as i know Scully Montreal were doing cap for army too as i have one with their logo in the cap.
    What do you think ?
    Frenchy

?

The first cap looks good to me. Thinking about it, being private purchase and also the design used throughought the Commonwealth, perhaps the colour and texture was due to local materials and the tailor.....and qualities.

The peak underside looks "card/papery" and looks wringled (am I right?) which feels right to me. The lining and sweatband looks cotton etc and leather and look constistant to age. The celluloid diamond sweat protector looks ok.

From the photo the rim look plastic, not enough texture to thje highlight of the leather, also the black looks too smooth, however the interior shot is small and hard to define, so if its the 1st cap, the rim in that photo looks ok.

But ask if the rim is leather,,,perhaps the black patent coating has chipped through to the brown leather.

General note. for determining ww2 era British/CW officer caps,

Black patent Leather chinstrap, Flat cotton covered side buttons (perhaps oval shaped if like on ww2 RCAF caps - maybe someone can confirm?), Leather rim to peak. Peak is not vinyl. Underside looks paper/card textured (if you know what I mean).

Large interior photo looks too new and to me seems a modern, well post ww2 cap. The cap could be anything from 1960s - 1980+ however more detailed photos would make id clearer.

If you need any specific details i can add some detailed photos from my caps to help you compare,

Oli

Thanks very much Oli with that kind of info i will be able to ask him more question as i will give him a call on friday night .Thanks again
    Frenchy

?

No worrys, Happy to help and also good call with the RCAF caps.

?

I don't suppose the seller has any other navy caps?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast