Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Reviving beret markings?

Article about: I have a beret with very faint markings. Does anyone have any tips to make the maker's details stand out?

MAP
    ?

Quote by MAP View Post
    A proven (but expensive) way to see ink stamps on webbing and cloth is to use night vision goggles.

I had a really cheap pair I (I mean Santa) bought my kids years ago. Tried it out, worked well...then the cheap batteries that came with them burst and ....no more night vision...
    Not that it matters at all....but

Odd...I had a photo attached to this post. It is now gone...
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

Thanks everyone for the good tips. I still need batteries for my small blue light (although how
    strong it is will be another question) but I have found a hack on how to turn your phone light into a blue light... I have tried it and it doesn't work quite as they suggested but it is interesting. From the Daily Mirror website. It suggest sticking sellotape over your phone light and colouring it with a blue marker, then add some more sellotape over it and then some purple marker... et viola!

(https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.mir...ck-5801658.amp)

It did improve the white print on the beret slightly but didn't show anything new.

On another note the beret also has redding to the black felt in places...I guess this is down to sunning. I have seen this on Forage cap felt bands. Has anyone else experienced that?

?

Jerry, may I ask if your 1954 "Welsh" Supak has the sewn rectangles for the cap badge slide?

Quote by Ocad View Post
    Jerry, may I ask if your 1954 "Welsh" Supak has the sewn rectangles for the cap badge slide?
    Oli,

it does, as does the 55 dated example I own. From my own experience on a Kangol, even if removed you can still see the stitch holes from where they once were.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

Managed to get my bluelight on the beret lining, however I can't see much more than when it's damp. The lining is quite worn and even the WD stamp is partly remaining. I can just make out a 4 below the text line.

With the position of the size number, the 4 and the faint horizontal line, together with the missing badge rectangles I am fairly convinced its wartime. Using the blue light together with the creases in the lining makes me imagine Ss even where there shouldn't be.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2