Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9 15 16 17 18 19

Royal Air Force Uniform Caps, Hats and Helmets

Article about: Hi, This is intended to be a sister thread to my thread on British Army Visor Caps. Like the Army thread, it is open to anyone who would like to comment on or show RAF uniform headdress or a

Hi, Thank you for your question. The was worn by civilian MT drivers.

Regards MR

Hello, I'm a longtime lurker here!

I absolutely love this thread - full of great caps! Mr Ryan's collection is something of a dream. I've got a small collection, which I started some years ago. I also have a few post-war caps, which I will share in the future.

First up is an RAF officer's cap made by J.S.Wilson for a tailor in Alexandria, Egypt. It was then purchased by a RAAF Squadron Leader Intelligence Officer attached to Coastal Command from 1941. It's a really "salty" cap but I appreciate the history behind it.

One of my lucky finds.

I picked it up for a sum of 45 pounds at a clothing shop! Similar to prices many years back... It's hard to get one of these buggers for less than 100 pounds these days. I sold it some time back but it was a standard wartime issue cap made by a contract maker in Battersea. I usually sell to fund new acquisitions, so this one had to go.

Lovely caps Mr Sprog , I'll post mine soon

Many thanks, paulscoot! Looking forward to it.

I hope the author won't mind me showing off my RNZAF hat?

This is a RNZAF contract-made service dress cap by Hills Hats of Wellington, New Zealand. Chas Hill's company has been importing and making hats in Lambton Quay, Wellington since 1875. They continue to be the sole New Zealand gentleman's hat brand and military hat contract supplier. Even these modern caps are very hard to acquire as they issued not sold to the general public. (even to people who ask nicely ) I was lucky enough to pick this 1970-1980s example up secondhand in Hornby, which is near to the former site of RNZAF Wigram.

Quote by Michael Ryan View Post
    Following yesterday's cock up, a further cap and three helmets to view.

Attachment 1019181

AO 449 Although basically, a No1 SD cap for wear by an Air Officer, this particular cap is strange in that rather than a shinny black visor, it has a mat black materiel covered visor? I do not know why the cap has such a visor and am open to suggestions or opinions please.

Attachment 1019182

Attachment 1019185

Attachment 1019183

Attachment 1019184

JO 318 Modeled on a Royal Flying Corps flying helmet, this helmet was worn up to the mid 1930's by commissioned Officers with the RAF Full Dress uniform. The uniform was very unpopular and both the helmet and uniform are now quite rare. Contrary to popular belief, the uniform is not obsolete and is still in current service but only worn by Directors of Music. The badge worn uniquely on this helmet is called "The RAF Badge" and comprises a silver RAF Eagle superimposed across a circlet bearing the RAF Motto "Per Ardua ad Astra" which translates as "Through adversity to the stars". The badge is ensigned by the King's Crown.

Attachment 1019186

JO 402 The current generic style Full Dress helmet worn by all ranks of the RAF established bands. In this case, for wear by Directors of Music. For Officers, the fore strap is of gold metallic thread, the plume is of bright red and the badge is the standard Officer's pattern.

Attachment 1019187

WO 403 The Full Dress helmet for wear by Warrant Officer Band Masters. The plume and four strap are identical to those worn by Officers and the badge is very similar to the officer's pattern but varies in the style of the laurel semi wreath and in that the RAF eagle is embroidered in metallic threads rather than made from gilded metal.
    Sorry to revive a 4 year old post but in light of the matte black visor, those visors are reserved for Royal Navy caps. I assume that the milliners must have sewn on a Royal Navy Flag Officer's visor instead of a Royal Air Force Air Rank's visor. I'd be willing to bet that your "AO449" cap iis a product of Gieves & Hawkes because I've heard of this mishap being done in the past by them.

Back with another one. This time with a chip bag from Gieves & Hawkes!

The original owner was Group Captain D. H. G. Baker, MBE, FRGS, who served in the RAF Technical and Engineering branch for 28 years. Group Captain Baker is the grandson of Air Chief Marshal Sir Geoffrey Salmond, KCB, KCMG, DSO - the famed RFC senior commander and descendant of renown British explorer Sir Samuel Baker. Group Captain Baker served as an RAF attaché in Denmark, Finland and Sweden during the 1970s and was Superintendent at A&AEE Boscombe Down (later RAF Boscombe Down) during the Falklands conflict.

Dear All,
    Yestarday i've bought nice Polish Royal Air Force side cap dated 1940.
    I've never had experience with RAF uniforms, so i would like to ask you if somebody know what the number before the date on label means?

Best Regards
    MichalRoyal Air Force Uniform Caps, Hats and HelmetsRoyal Air Force Uniform Caps, Hats and Helmets

?

Default 1940 dated cap

I'd like to add my 1940 dated RAF other ranks cap to this excellent thread.

Cheers,
    Bruce
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Royal Air Force Uniform Caps, Hats and Helmets   Royal Air Force Uniform Caps, Hats and Helmets  

Royal Air Force Uniform Caps, Hats and Helmets   Royal Air Force Uniform Caps, Hats and Helmets  

Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9 15 16 17 18 19