Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Royal Navy Caps and Hats

Article about: Hi As a follow up and sister thread to my previous threads on caps and hats of the British Army and of the Royal Air Force, I thought that it would be fitting to show some Royal Navy (RN) he

Default Royal Navy Caps and Hats

Hi As a follow up and sister thread to my previous threads on caps and hats of the British Army and of the Royal Air Force, I thought that it would be fitting to show some Royal Navy (RN) headdress. After all, they are the Senior Service? The thread will cove the RN caps and hats etc and will divert occasionally into associated organizations such as the Merchant Navy (MN) and the Royal Marines (RM). As with all of the threads which I have started, I welcome any constructive comments and opinions either positive or negative. The format will be similar to the other two threads on the headdress subject and you are invited to show anything that you consider relevant on this thread for us all to enjoy. Please feel free because like you, I too enjoy looking at other collections and learning from them and fellow collectors!!

As a starter, I have selected four naval senior officers caps of varying periods and styles. Although a single arc of gold embroidered oak leaves around the outer edge of the visor cap is a common symbol of the rank group of the wearer, over the three services, it has four distinct meanings and is not generic to one rank. In the RN, the embellishment is worn by any of three senior officer ranks, Commander, Captain and Commodore. Within the Army, the same embellishment is worn by either of two senior officer ranks, Substantive Colonel and Brigadier. However in the Royal Air Force, only one rank can wear this embellishment, Group Captain. The Royal Marines have the greatest span of ranks, four in all, from Major to Brigadier inclusive. RM, Army and RAF Senior Officers wear deeply embroidered braid whilst that worn on the caps of the RN is flat embroidered. Very little is simple in the British Military!

Royal Navy Caps and Hats

Royal Navy Caps and Hats

Royal Navy Caps and Hats

SO 284 Senior Officer's cap of current pattern with a white plastic cover and Queen's Crown (QC) cap badge executed in gold wire with coloured silks detailing and on a blue/black shaped field. This cap is by Gieves of London.

Royal Navy Caps and Hats

Royal Navy Caps and Hats

Royal Navy Caps and Hats

SO 294 This is an early cap of Second World War vintage with an economy all metal cap badge and white removable cap cover. The badge is multi part with a King's Crown (KC), all mounted on a blue shaped blue cloth field. The original owner's name, "Kay" is written on the inner cap leather band.

Second two for today.

Royal Navy Caps and Hats

Royal Navy Caps and Hats

Royal Navy Caps and Hats

SO 304 Pre 1953 cap probably of WWII vintage by Sanders and Brightman of Luton. The cap id blue and bears an embroidered cap badge with a KC.

Royal Navy Caps and Hats

Royal Navy Caps and Hats

SO 315 Now obsolete unless worn with a white detachable cover, the is a post 1953 cap with a gold wire embroidered QC cap badge.

?

My one and only RN cap, a typical Gieves made cap of the WWII era. Named to a Capt. ( S) H.C. Foote.
    I believe the "S" stands for supply.

BobSRoyal Navy Caps and HatsRoyal Navy Caps and HatsRoyal Navy Caps and Hats

Hi Bob, Thank you for posting your cap and what a nice one at that!! I particularly like the badge and the fact that it is named.
    Thank you once again and regards Michael

Hi, A few more Senior Officer's caps then something different.

Royal Navy Caps and Hats

Royal Navy Caps and Hats

SO 278 Royal Fleet Auxiliary (RFA) Captain's cap. The main difference between RN and RFA Captain's caps is the visor embellishment. Rather than a single arc of oak leaves worn on RN caps, a single arc of laurel leaves is used on the RFA caps. The cap badge varies in that the large fouled anchor is replaced by a small anchor of identical pattern encompassed by a circlet containing the letters "RFA" in upper case.

Royal Navy Caps and Hats

Royal Navy Caps and Hats

Royal Navy Caps and Hats

Royal Navy Caps and Hats

SO 286 A current pattern private purchase cap by Gieves and co London. The Gieves label also shows the logos of HM the Queen and HRH The Duke of Edinburgh for whom Gieves holds special appointments.

Royal Navy Caps and Hats

Royal Navy Caps and Hats

Royal Navy Caps and Hats

SO 281 Current Issue pattern SO cap with white vinyl cover and full Government Issue details on the inside label

Royal Navy Caps and Hats

Royal Navy Caps and Hats

SO 288 Early cap by Lock and Co London with a KC embroidered cap badge and probably of WWII vintage.

?

Quote by Michael Ryan View Post
    SO 294 This is an early cap of Second World War vintage with an economy all metal cap badge and white removable cap cover. The badge is multi part with a King's Crown (KC), all mounted on a blue shaped blue cloth field. The original owner's name, "Kay" is written on the inner cap leather band.[/B][/CENTER]
    Beautiful cap. I love these "scrambled" egged peaks. I would say that it is rather a late 1950s cap as opposed to WW2 vintage, due to the vinyl chinstrap and peak rim. However the cap badge is as you said and is from late 1944. Is it a frame cap?

?

Default A few Royal Marine examples.

Just a very brief description...

The Officer's cap dates to the 1960s and is for a Lt Col. or a Major.
    The O/Rs cap dates to the 1950s, being an early white topped example.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Royal Navy Caps and Hats   Royal Navy Caps and Hats  

Hi Ocad, Thank you for showing us the RM caps. Although I am not too keen on Marines uniforms and caps, I do have a few which I shall put up on this thread, so if you like them, keep watching. And of course showing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Very best wishes Michael

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast