Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

Scots Guards piper glengarry

Article about: As we have discussed many times the glengarry is extremely difficult to date unless date stamped which many are not. However, this one I am pretty sure is of WWI vintage. During field servic

Default Scots Guards piper glengarry

As we have discussed many times the glengarry is extremely difficult to date unless date stamped which many are not.

However, this one I am pretty sure is of WWI vintage.

During field service it has long been the practice to remove the tails for reasons of practicality and to an extent hygiene (lice could use them to move between uniform and cap!). In this case however, the tails have not been removed but folded up and stitched together inside the cap which is why I was attracted to it.

The cap badge is a WWI period pipers badge and as can be seen this cap has never had any other badge.
    The rosette, more properly called the bow (a rosette really is the circular type seen on feather bonnets) is an obvious later replacement and shows no wear at all. That does detract from the overall appearance but as and when I turn up a tatty old one I can change it and it will look perfect and be impossible to tell.

All opinion is most welcome.

Regards

Mark

Scots Guards piper glengarryScots Guards piper glengarryScots Guards piper glengarryScots Guards piper glengarryScots Guards piper glengarry
    Last edited by Watchdog; 07-26-2022 at 03:42 PM. Reason: typo
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."