MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

Seaforth Highlander Badge ID

Article about: New here and relatively new to the world of British/Commwealth items. I have questions about the specifics of the Seaforth Highlander badge I just acquired. I believe it is a WWII officer/wa

Default Seaforth Highlander Badge ID

New here and relatively new to the world of British/Commwealth items. I have questions about the specifics of the Seaforth Highlander badge I just acquired. I believe it is a WWII officer/warrant version. Also seeking information on the period and details of the third badge. As I’ve discovered sometimes different battalions had slightly different versions, etc.

On the second picture you can actually see the tartan pattern has been transferred onto the edges of the scroll; thought that was neat.

Thank you!

If anyone could shed some light on the subject I’d much appreciate it.
    Seaforth Highlander Badge IDSeaforth Highlander Badge IDSeaforth Highlander Badge ID

Nothing more anyone can add?

Try not to be impatient mate. It's rare not to get a reply here but sometimes people are doing "life"

Any way the badge,

I think I looked at this one myself when it was offered for sale and discussed with a US friend of mine.

Firstly the unit; I believe this is to the Seaforth Highlanders of Canada mainly because of the texture in the design. Pics for reference at the bottom. I believe that it was described by the seller as sterling silver but it looks rather brass like to me. If that is the sellers pic can you take you own in daylight and post it please?

The Seaforth Highlanders of Canada were formed in 1910 if memory serves me so obviously no earlier than that but from it's appearance I would put it around the WWI period.

Now the important bit. What are the dimensions? I ask because the proportions lead me to think it is a bit on the small size for a cap badge. When my friend and I discussed it we concluded that it may well be a Sweetheart brooch or similar. Either way the asking price seemed to support this (mid two figures?). An officers silver badge would be in the three figure range. Also I have never seen the hook on the back of the stags head before but that might just be a peculiarity of the Canadian design.

I attach pictures of two of my officers badges both circa WWI. Note the smooth surface of the antlers and the less textured stags head on the two British badges. Also i have included a measure for scaling.

If is the right size and is in fact silver you have a nice badge.

Regards

Mark

PS Your pic with the badge on a TOS isn't the same thing is it? Also, it appears to be a one piece item or is that just the picture?

Seaforth Highlander Badge IDSeaforth Highlander Badge ID
    Last edited by Watchdog; 04-29-2024 at 03:09 PM. Reason: ps
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Sorry missed a pic;

Seaforth Highlander Badge ID
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."