Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Thought some might find this interesting

Article about: British Army General's WW1 Hawkes of London s6 7/8 SD Uniform Cap. BPD | eBay

?

Yes, very interesting & rare, but the price is already almost $500, with a long ways to go.
    I can never understand why these nitwit bidders place these high bids so early in the process.
    My guess is that it may go for close to $1000, or even higher.
    I'd love to have it, especially if it was named.

BobS

RTH
    ?

OK, interesting. The guy who sells it is called Hogspear, and often has some quite interesting stuff. All his items start at 99p/$1.37 which is a bit of a gamble but often pays off. He once has the personal decorations and orders of Saddam Hussein (may not be real idk) for sale which also started at 99p/$1.37 and went up to around £7,000 I think (annoyingly I can't find the page any more). He often has Rhodesian items up, currently has a Rhodesian SAS tracksuit going.

RTH
    ?

This is another item that may raise interest. I've no idea as to authenticity but I've no reason to doubt it either. Was £10,000/$13878.49 but went unsold and wasn't relisted.
    Thought some might find this interesting
    Thought some might find this interestingThought some might find this interestingThought some might find this interesting

?

I have bought many items from Hogspear over the years, probably at least 25 caps or so, along eith other items.
    Very reputable, IMHO.
    For the last few years, the military iems have dwindled, and more clothing, etc. has replaced it, although he still gets the occasional rare item.
    In my experience, it has been rare, if any item I was watching did not achieve "market price", if not a lot more.

BobS

?

Cap sold for 1,141 pounds/ $ 1,573; crazy price, IMHO.

BobS

RTH
    ?

Quote by BobS View Post
    Cap sold for 1,141 pounds/ $ 1,573; crazy price, IMHO.

BobS
    Woah seriously. And to think that it started at 99p. I personally would get quite scared that a valuable cap that I put on at 99p would go up to a suitable price because of lack of interest or a glitch in the algorithm which means it doesn't get shown to many or something.

?

Hogspear starts every listing at 99p & somehow, they never seem to get burned on low bids; quite amazing.
    If this cap had been named, it might have been worth close to this price, otherwise, not, IMHO.

BobS

?

I have Hogspear saved as seller. I collect SA Scottish headgear and recently he has had several examples up for sale. I admit my hopes are up at the beginning, but as was said earlier in this thread, people bid high early and the prices soon skyrocket out of my price range.

I think there are certain sellers who gain a reputation for having rare items and this can cause bidders to bid high even on more common items. An example of this is the EBay seller "Epic Artifacts". Epic Artifacts allegedly purchased an enormous headgear collection from the estate of a U.S. collector. They posted several one-of-a-kind and rare items and I saw the internet light up with collectors discussing what was being offered. Things have quieted down a bit as the seller offered less militaria, but for awhile the prices were ridiculous.

That is the joy and the curse of the internet. You might find a great bargain. For example, I once purchased a rare green Russian airborne beret for a unit (103rd Guards Airborne Division) that fell under the KGB for one year from a woman who thought the beret looked "cute" and believed it would sell in her clothing shop as a fashion accessory.

Then there are the times when an officer's peaked cap is bid up to unrealistic prices...

?

Regarding Hogspear, I have acquired the bulk of my British officer's visor caps from them over the years, ay very fair prices, IMHO.
    However, as of late, actual militaria has been only a small percentage of their items listed and I also have noted either some incredibly stupid bidding up of prices, or shill bidding, the latter of which would surprise me.
    Lately, the prices of those items I have put on my watch list from Hogspear have often greatly exceeded what I think they are worth; my sense is that at least my own "glory days" with this seller are long gone.

BobS